Community
Search
Notices
Digital Video (DV) & Video Editing Software Discuss the use of digital video which we use to show our rc stuff off on the web. Talk about products, editing software, tips, ratings, rendering to the web, etc

Which video editing tool software you use ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2005, 07:19 PM
SDCrashmaster

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Which video editing tool software you use ?

ORIGINAL: A10FLYR

Would I be better off just getting a stand alone machine?
Thanks....

Yes. Go to www.apple.com. Get yourself an iMac with SuperDrive. It'll have everything you could possibly need to do the job right.
No installing this, loading that, switching over to this junk needs to go on either. Plus you'll flat out like it better than any PC you can buy.
Old 02-13-2005, 04:03 PM
ibstar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

used movie maker
rather big at 12mb and better to save target as
http://www.rcpics.net/media/frankie_...fg_low_res.wmv
Old 02-14-2005, 07:20 AM
TZMach1

Just getting started with video capture and burning, I have the ADAPTEC Videoh dvd Media Center. So far AMAZING !!!! Can capture from any format as long as it has A/V outputs and also live. As far as editing NERO has been the easiest for me, Movie Maker locked up every time I tried it. Ulead wasn't bad but was clumbersome.
I plan on using a wireless camera to use on a BOAT. Any thoughts on a waterproof enclosure??? Thought about "tupperware" but am concerned about clarity through the plastic.

Will post some video once the water softens up a bit.

Tim Z
Old 02-22-2005, 06:23 PM
shaunrbell
My Feedback: (4)

Not even close to free but Canopus Storm2 with Premiere Pro will pretty much cover everything you need. All you editing and encoding is done in real time....saving some time lol! Go to www.justedit.com and check it out.

Shaun bell (take stills over vid any day)
Old 02-26-2005, 01:53 PM
glenclif

Pinnacle Studio 9 is the best and easiest to use software I've found.

Windows Movie Maker, included with Win XP also works great.
Old 03-11-2005, 10:31 AM
wahlrite

I use Adobe Premier 6.0 ( old now ) and you can find copies on da net real cheap now. the trick is in the machine, One of my favorite sayings is ( their ant no replacement for displacement ) . The people in earlier post say the Adobe Premier take 8 hours to render must have very slow machines or not using the correct settings.
I use a
INTEL 850 Mother Board
3.2 Gig INTEL chip
2 Gig ram
4 10,000 rpm SCSI drives stripes raid O config. Total or 150 Gig, 1.9 Ms access time
Matrox RT2500 video rendering daughter board

I also have 2 regular hard drives in the machine, 1 for the OS and the other to capture the audio to.
o yea the most important thing, 2 power supplies, 12 cooling fans and a small A/C machine piped to the front to keep things cool. ( A MUST )

I shoot and edit all of Bill Hempels videos, http://billhempel.com/video/index.htm i just recently put all 10 videos on one DVD and rendered and burnt to DVD in less than 30 Min. ( 1.5 Hours of video )

I also use a canon XL-1 @ 16X9 @ 30 frames/ sec. ( 6 megs per frame ) raw

Rick Adams
Old 03-11-2005, 01:12 PM
J_R

ORIGINAL: wahlrite

The people in earlier post say the Adobe Premier take 8 hours to render must have very slow machines
LOL

Next to your machine, I suspect very few have anything BUT slow machines.

How long does it take to render an hour of .avi to mpeg 2? wvm?
Old 03-20-2005, 01:35 PM
ChixwithTrix
My Feedback: (8)

Movie Maker and Vegas are two good programs.

Movie Maker is free, easy to use, and what I learned on. Pretty good all around.
Vegas is not a free program, but is nice to use and has a better capture than WMM (raws take up alot of space, I got a 200gig hard drive because my little 40 was being cooked by the captures in Vegas) I do not know it very well, but it is more complex than WMM and I have not been able to find out everything and make everything work.

I have example of some vids I made in each system on my website
The Windows Movie Maker examples are here:
[link=http://www.tjbatix.com/foamt.wmv]Flying foamy in tennis courts at night[/link] <== I think this is best vid I made in WMM
[link=http://www.tjbatix.com/whe.wmv]Wild Hare 28% edge batix[/link]
[link=http://www.tjbatix.com/tj-best.wmv]Best of Throttle Junkies[/link]
Here are some vids I made in Vegas:
[link=http://www.tjbatix.com/brett.wmv]Brett 3Ding[/link]
[link=http://www.tjbatix.com/stupid.wmv]Flying another foamy in tennis courts @ night, silly vid[/link]
[link=http://www.tjbatix.com/xacfinal.wmv]XAC event overview[/link]<== 1st Vegas vid I made (I think) and uses Vegas's transitions and extras more than most of my other videos.

I personally like better quality of raws from Vegas, but it seems a little clumsy and not the best layout IMO (given I have not taken much time to really get into Vegas's features so it may be a null opinion) I like WMM, has a lot to offer for a free program but a bit confined once you know it well enough.
Old 03-29-2005, 12:12 AM
creyc

I use Apple Final Cut Pro for all my editing on my mac, and where I can't use FCP (on a PC) I use Avid Express Pro.

Now, would I recommend these programs to use? Na prolly not unless you're willing to spend over $1000 a pop on either. Advanced editing programs such as these provide the tools, power and features professionals demand. Editing a RC video for the web typically doesn't require the same toolset so you can get buy with MovieMaker or iMovie or Pinnacle. If you have a mac, start with iMoive and see what you think. On a PC you may as well try the included Microsoft version.
Old 03-29-2005, 09:18 AM
Paul Grubich
My Feedback: (1)

Vegas 5.0 is the best and almost pro style video editor. I have the demo and hope to buy the full version. I also tried Magix Movie Edit Pro 10 and it is the best all around package. With Magix you can do anything, capture, burn, edit, produce, ect. Vegas is the best although if you have the bucks. Magix is only $59.95 and does almost as much as Vegas.
Old 03-29-2005, 11:35 AM
SDCrashmaster

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Chix,
Liked your "foamy tennis court" vid.
Interesting filters with the cout lighting.
Paul
Old 03-29-2005, 07:16 PM
ChixwithTrix
My Feedback: (8)

ORIGINAL: SDCrashmaster

Chix,
Liked your "foamy tennis court" vid.
Interesting filters with the cout lighting.
Paul

thank you
Old 03-29-2005, 10:13 PM
creyc

Ah, I must vouch for Vegas 5 as well since it is so overlooked in the world of consumer video editing. For its price, features and quality it is definitely a major player.
Old 04-26-2005, 09:10 AM
sirrom
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Wanted to say thanks to all the guys who responded here, it really helped me make my decision. I tried almost every software package that everyone recommended. I downloaded and tried the windows movie maker, adobe priemiere elements, Adobe Premiere 1.5, Roxio, Nero, Vegas, Pinnacle Systems Studio Plus 9 as well as a couple of others. This being my first try at video editing I was looking at something with enough features to satisfy my geek side, but not too much to make me never want to do it again.

Adobe Premiere 1.5 really had me never wanting to do video editing again. The software was overly complicated for the person just trying to create some simple videos and put them on a DVD.

I liked adobe elements alot, it was quick and simple, but does not create VOB files for DVD's in the software, if it did I missed it and tech support at adobe did not know about it either.

Windows Movie Maker was a snap to use and very easy to manipulate, had alot of features that I really loved, but the one thing I did not see was the ability to create menus or an option to create DVD's with the VOB formatted files.

I then got a opy of Pinnacle Studio Plus 9. It was easy to use, very comprehensive, great features, lets me create and customize menus, and it will create the VOB formatted files straight from the program. To ensure how easy of a program it was to use, I showed my wife (the most computer illiterate person I know) some of the basic features and asked her to create a DVD. I took her about 2 hours to produce a 15 minute movie in Studio Plus but she was able to do it without asking me one single question. Now that is a simplified program. I figured for the 100.00 that it cost, it was well worth the price.

Now my wife has used it a couple of times and she is able to create a 15 minute video in about 30 minutes now, minus rendering times.

Also, I have the software installed on my laptop which is running a Intel 2.2Ghz Celeron processor, 1 GB of ram, 64 Mb Video Card, and a 80 GB 7200 RPM hard drive. It takes me roughly 2 hours to render about 1 hour and 15 minutes worth of video. I have also found a neat little program that will let me shrink down 2 hours of video to fit on one DVD without losing any quality. It's called DVD Shrink. It will shrink down any size files (VOB files that is) to fit on a DVD but the higher the compression the worse the video starts to become.

Well this is just my 2cents worth. I wanted to say thanks again and you guys really helped me over a hurdle with choosing a software.
Old 06-06-2005, 03:24 PM
Lynner532

I'm considering buying the new AIPTEK ISDV camera. Target has a father's day sale for $97, and I've read you can pick up a 512 card for less than $40.

The one problem I've read about is how to get the MPEG4 captured and converted.

I did some poking around and found a site that did reviews on video editing packages. They recommend Power Director 4. At $79 for the full package it seems like a bargain compared to some of the other feature rich editors. Check it out:

http://video-editing-software-review...or-review.html

Anybody have any personal experience with this package?

Anybody have any insight into working with MPEG4 format?
Old 06-16-2005, 10:28 AM
DebianDog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With a Mac and iMovie 5 you can edit MPEG-4 content natively. It is typically lower quality that a DV shot but I am sure we will be seeing more MPEG-4 camera due to the small size and the new MPEG-4v10 format. AKA (H.264, AVC,DHD-HD)

Once again newer Macs running Tiger have this ability