Community
Search
Notices
Digital Video (DV) & Video Editing Software Discuss the use of digital video which we use to show our rc stuff off on the web. Talk about products, editing software, tips, ratings, rendering to the web, etc

Disc in a video recorder

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 07:49 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Disc in a video recorder

Is there such a thing? Seems like I saw one quite awhile back but didnt pay much attention at the time. Would you be able to move the disc to the pc and just copy all the clips over? After making a few videos I have found that transfering data from the video recorder to the pc takes the most time. Some s/w auto segments the clips and others dont. I'm tired of using the freeware and want to get a better setup thats not so time consuming on the transfers.
I was reading the thread about the Sony Vegas, gonna go check that out.
Edwin
Old 05-10-2006, 07:59 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Disc in a video recorder

ED: When you find out...please post your findings. Thanks Capt,n
Old 05-10-2006, 12:09 PM
sfsjkid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure if I understood your question correctly, but yes there are camcorders that record directly to DVD. Here's a link to Crutchfield for reference.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-urjw89Z...wEAo*l5TjvvNii

But it sounds like you want to edit too, which creates a problem. Since the DVD format is compressed, you'll lose time uncompressing the video into a format the editing software can understand, at least with the 2 I tried. Additionally, you've lost some quality due to the MPEG2 format DVD's use, so this may cause problems in your final production.

Good luck!
Old 05-10-2006, 02:11 PM
Edwin

I think you're right about quality loss using mpeg2. Has to do with compressing and recompressing a compressed file. I've been reading a forum on dvd handycams at www.camcorderinfo.com and got a serious case of data overload. So far, issues you have to look out for are; power up time (some take up to 30 sec to get ready to record); you have to finalize the disk (but may not be able to if you completly fill the disc); you only get 30 minutes of video (20 in hdv mode); video editing s/w appears to just now be catching up to the dvd handycam formats/tools; you CAN simply move the disk from your handycam straight to your pc dvd; and you CAN import multiple mini-dvd's into the pc to pick and choose clips to make a final dvd movie (but its a pain in the a** according to a few that have done it). Looks like most still use several different programs to make the final product. I'm still looking for that one program that does it all for me. It might be a little soon to jump on board at the moment. There is unconfirmed talk that a new format is coming out soon that will hold more than the 1.4gb that a mini-dvd holds. Many scoff at that for the moment. And it will not be backward compatable with the current dvd handycams. But you never know. I prefer sony based on my own experience and advice from a brother-in-law thats owned several camcorders. Of all the different brands he's owned the sony is the only one that hasnt failed. I've only had mine for almost 2 years now with no problems. Still researching. Gotta take an asperin.
Edwin
Old 05-10-2006, 02:22 PM
sfsjkid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read somewhere that if you are going to be editing tape is the way to go. DVD camcorders are for those that want the convinience of watching on home DVD players. You mentioned the 1.4GB disc recording 20/30 minutes depending on the record setting. Transfering from MiniDV tape to AVI format on the PC, 1.4 GB is worth about 7~8 minutes!
Old 05-10-2006, 06:50 PM
DebianDog

DVD is not a format it is MPEG-2

AVI is not a format it is a container. The format is probably DV.
http://danslagle.com/mac/iMovie/qt_plugins/3000.shtml

DV is 13 gigs per hour and that is NOTHING compared to 220 gigs per hour for real HD.

You want to avoid any MPEG/DVD based camcorders. Period.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:45 PM
Edwin

Yeah, looks like you're right. I was just hoping there would be a short cut. The transfer takes a painfully long time. Is there something I dont know about that can transfer the tape and segment the clips faster?
Edwin
Old 05-10-2006, 08:49 PM
DebianDog

Typically it is real time (10 minutes of footage takes 10 minutes) unless you record straight to a hard drive A bit expensive but getting cheaper