Notices
Digital Video (DV) & Video Editing Software Discuss the use of digital video which we use to show our rc stuff off on the web. Talk about products, editing software, tips, ratings, rendering to the web, etc

JVC MiniDV Mini DV Camcorder GR-D73U

Old 11-04-2006, 07:11 AM
Doubledog
My Feedback: (48)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JVC MiniDV Mini DV Camcorder GR-D73U

Don't have much time to use this camera even though have had it for over two years. Need some assistance with it.

Its a JVC GR-D73U camcorder. It uses either the 8mm cassette or the MultiMediaCard. The card that came with it is only 8mb & doesn't allow any recording other than still pics.

My question is if I upgrade to a larger card say 1 or 2 gb, will this allow me to record video on it?
Reason for asking is because I can not take the film and transfere it to recording on DVD, even through the computer or through my recordable DVD player on the TV.

I would hope that because it reads the memory card through the computer that it would allow me to record video and transfere to computer & then to burn on DVD.

My Nikkon D50 has a similar card (Scan Disk) that fits the camcorder but I don't want to risk testing with it.

Any suggestions?

Peace & Rock & Roll.
Jamie

Old 11-04-2006, 01:55 PM
Knight_74

Default RE: JVC MiniDV Mini DV Camcorder GR-D73U

According to the manual you should be able to transfer the video using either the DV cable or the USB cable.

http://books.jvcservice.com/download...0826/32584.pdf

As far as using a larger SD card that will only allow you to have more stills. It doesn't record video to it.
Old 11-05-2006, 12:52 PM
uliner
My Feedback: (2)

just one thing, all the jvc camcorders are very fragile. Keep them dry, and clean, be gentle with the tape mechinism. I have 2 I will never buy another JVC product again.

Use the the dv cable (firewire) to transfer stuff to your PC windows movie maker works well. I use Nero.

Dave
Old 11-05-2006, 01:12 PM
Doubledog
My Feedback: (48)

ok, stupid question.... LOL

How do I tansfere the video on cassette to DVD through the computer?

Anyone have step by step instructions? The book is not worth the paper its printed on.

Very best regards.
Old 11-05-2006, 09:52 PM
Knight_74

You need to have the video brought into a dvd authoring software. Adobe premiere, DVDLab, Nero, Windows movie maker etc. Errr... and you do need to have a DVD RW drive...
Old 11-06-2006, 11:22 AM
uliner
My Feedback: (2)

you need a computer with a fire wire interface on it, a fire wire cable, much open hard disk space and some video capture and editing software.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...r/default.mspx

The task has 3 parts. 1) capture the video clips 2) edit the clips into a video 3) change the video into the correct format for playback.
1) If you are running XP you can use windows move maker to get started, or nero if you have it. I use nero.
Plug the camera in and start up your video capture software. you should be able to start snd stop the camera from the soft ware. Rewind the tape and hit record. If this is a 20 minute video clip, it will take 20 minutes to capture. Tip, turn off all other programs, and don't use the computer while capturing the video.

2) Edit the video. You can use Windows movie maker to add chapter makes, transitions, captions and all that trash. You can merge video clips from other sources. Do this until you are bored. You can wast many hours making it look just right. If you want this for playback on a PC you are done. If you want a DVD player compatible format see part 3.

3) Up till now the the video file is not in a format compatible to play on a DVD player. It is AVI format, and most DVD players will not read it. you need to get software that will convect it into a compatable format (MP4?). search google for DIV converter. I use nero, it came with my DVD drive and works well. Once stated this will take a long time to run. I set it up to run overnight. I use an old PC (P2-200) with a large hard disk for video stuff, and nothing else. It takes about 8 hours to render a 120minute DVD. A real fast PC will still take several hours to complete this task.

this isn't the whole story, but it should get you started and overviews the whole process.
Dave