Community
Search
Notices
Digital Video (DV) & Video Editing Software Discuss the use of digital video which we use to show our rc stuff off on the web. Talk about products, editing software, tips, ratings, rendering to the web, etc

flycamone2 alternatives

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 06:43 PM
kargo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default flycamone2 alternatives

ok gang, looking into some onboard video options for our sig senior. flycamone2 seems like a good bang for the buck, but what are the alternatives? we want;

less than $200

no wirless, recorded onto the camera/SD card, etc

higher resolution than flycamone2 if possible

Thanks!
Old 01-30-2009, 07:57 PM
AH-64_d

Default RE: flycamone2 alternatives

Did have a ball with my FlyCamOne2 until I lost it in a bamboo thicket, 3 December. Mounted it with velcro stickies to the airframe and found that was enough to vibration isolate it for acceptable video. Noted it had limited color depth - saturated on intense colors, and limited auto f stop - washed out sunlit leaves if part of tree was in shade. Image write speed distorted picture if motion was fast. Video resolution of 640 x 480 PAL was noticeably less than 720 x 520 recorded by my SONY. Other than that, it was a good value. Having lost it, I am interested in finding something better. This link, http://www.rcplanecams.com/aiptek1.3mp(sd).html sells a modified Aiptek camera that you can control thru your radio. Their aerial videos look better than mine. Bought an Aiptek G0-HD+ to evaluate as a handheld. It shoots 30 fps at 720p as well as 8 megapixel stills. Began to figure how to modify it for aerial use, but decided not to, because it is heavy and creates files compatible with Quicktime rather than Media Player. Do not like that. Will monitor the replies you get to learn if someone can suggest something better in the same size range as a FlyCamOne2.

Best regards,

AH-64D
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43268.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	1123506   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27181.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	1123507   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx62276.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	1123508  
Old 01-31-2009, 07:52 AM
AH-64_d

There is mention of the ST Labs 5 in 1 DVR at http://www.tufflight.com/5n1vidcam.html. That camera weighs 21 grams, has 128 megs onboard memory, and the video clip at the site looked acceptable. However, it records at a right angle to its long axis. That would limit its orientation on an aircraft. Since it is light enough to fly on a Blade CX2, does anyone have any experience with it?

AH-64 D
Old 01-31-2009, 08:23 AM
AH-64_d

Then again, why not just take a look at this thread, http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...21745&page=446, which is a long-running one on these cameras...
Old 01-31-2009, 06:58 PM
AirmanBob
My Feedback: (14)

You can take videos with the camera laying on its side or upside down or
whatever.

If you can download into windows 'movie maker' you can have the program
flip it back to normal very easily... I do it all the time.

Ab
Old 01-31-2009, 09:52 PM
AH-64_d

Visited the local WalMart today, and was surprised to see several, cheap USB video recorders that might make reasonable aerial cameras. Some were HD. Prices ranged from $20 for a pen cam with 8 megs of memory (looked cheesey), to $100 (Vado). Suspect Kargo may be interested in some of the HD ones as a FCO2 replacement, since the FCO2 is not HD. A $30 one of undefined memory capacity (not HD) looked interesting even though it uses 2 AAA batteries for power - Could easily replace them with a small Lipo that would weigh a lot less than a couple of AAA batteries. Has anyone tried one of these things?
Old 02-13-2009, 07:14 PM
AH-64_d

Bought an AeroCam Lite DVR and another FlyCamOne2. The AeroCam weighs 22 g and comes with a 2 gig mini-SD card. I am gong to mount both cameras on my Twister Skylift and shoot side by side video to fairly compare their capabilities. The tests won't happen until a 25C 800 MAH lipo arrives, but I will post the comparison when it is complete.

AH-64 D
Old 02-27-2009, 07:42 PM
AH-64_d

25C 800 MAH battery is finally on the way. Could not resist flying the AeroCam while waiting for the battery. Simply stuck it onto the belly of my CX2 with 2 velcro disks and took off. The AeroCam weighs about as much as a set of CX2 training gear, so it was more than fun to fly that way rather than gingerly flying about with both cameras on a Skylift. It is waaaaay simpler to buzz about with the CX2.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:43 PM
AH-64_d

25C 800 MAH battery is finally on the way. Could not resist flying the AeroCam while waiting for the battery. Simply stuck it onto the belly of my CX2 with 2 velcro disks and took off. The AeroCam weighs about as much as a set of CX2 training gear, so it was more than fun to fly that way rather than gingerly flying about with both cameras on a Skylift. It is waaaaay simpler to buzz about with the CX2.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:07 PM
AH-64_d

A comparison based on flying both cameras at the same time on a Twister Skylift has not yet been posted because I am proceeding slowly after watching my Skylift tear itself apart in the air with an AeroCam on board on 21 March. Since then, I have recorded a lot of AeroCam video from my CX2 as well as the Skylift. The Skylift flies like a truck in comparison to the CX2. Video shot from the CX2 tends to blur during turns but not from the Skylift because the Skylift turns more slowly. You need to carefully set up your helicopter to minimize shaking and vibration dampen the camera mount to get good video. Velcro works OK as a FlyCamOne2 mount forthe Skylift, but a Velcro mount for an AeroCam on the CX2 transmits too much vibration to the camera even though the CX2 is not visibly shaking. I plan to try a foam mount made with "firm" and "soft" urethane foam to learn if that combination dampens vibration better.

The best feature of the AeroCam is its LED idiot light that lets you know it is functioning. The worst feature is its fixed view. I got tired of looking at the ground from the belly of a CX2. There is a post describing a landing skid mount made from a tongue depressor and a dowel that allows a forward view from the side, but I thought it would be heavier than the camera. Other materials could be used instead.

The FlyCamOne2 is more versatile, but weighs twice as much and also costs more than an AeroCam. They are similar in performance except for one AeroCam quirk seen in their website videos as well as some of my videos - Rapidly moving objects distort in good lighting. Propellers or rotors look like egg beaters. I mounted the AeroCam facing up thru the rotors of the Skylift and got a crystal clear image of a crow against a bright blue sky, but the rotors were curved scimitars in the foreground. The FlyCamOne2 does not do this when equipped with an ACME memory card.

Old 06-12-2009, 01:48 PM
JimBrown
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where is the lens located on the AeroCam?

Thanks,
...jim

Old 06-12-2009, 05:54 PM
AH-64_d

The AeroCam is the size of a pack of gum - 3 inches long,0.7 inch wide,0.5 inch deep. The lens faces out from a 3/4 inch side, 0.3 in from one end. Two pictures are attached. They show the locations of the lens andpushbutton controls. Theyare on opposite 0.7 inch faces.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77201.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	1216980   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89899.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	1216981  
Old 06-14-2009, 02:41 PM
JimBrown
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the info.

...jim

Old 08-28-2009, 04:08 PM
MrEdge

AeroCam Lite...Just bought one and the instructions are in engrish...can anyone elaborate on the correct operation procedures to get this camera running?
I turn on the power switch...no lites lite up
Push the big button blue and pale yellow lite lite up for a moment then go off
Hold the big button and orange lite come on then goes off after a number of seconds then the blue light comes on steady and the green light on the left comes on..
I havent had a chance to hook it up to the computer to see if it actually records anything
Just looking for some insight

Thanks guys
Old 08-30-2009, 04:16 PM
jpilkinton

Hey guys, I just bought a Mini DV VD80 video recorder. It is super small and I did a record test and it works great. I will get some video asap and post it to show you how good it does.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:45 PM
AH-64_d

I posted this reply in a PM on 28 August - May as well paste it here also, so that others can read it...

Sounds like you have it in audio rather than video mode. The audio/video selector switch is on the side opposite the ON/OFF switch. Flip to "V" for video, and power up. At that point, the big white button will light up red as will the left-most small button above it. The other 2 small buttons will be blue. After a few seconds, they should all turn blue. Momentarily depress the big button to start recording video. The little buttons will begin to blink blue indicating that it is recording. Depress the big button again to stop recording.

When you connect to your PC with the provided cable, the buttons will be red until it is recharged. You may have to wait until it is charged before transfering files. The PC sees it as a storage device. Use the PC to transfer and delete AeroCam files.

I just removed its memory card and tried recording to see if it would do something wierd. It acted normal, so your problem does not appear to be lack of a memory card. The camera appears to have a modest amount of onboard memory - It will briefly record without its 2 Gig memory card.

Hope this helps.