Community
Search
Notices
Draganfly Innovations Products Discuss all the Draganfly Innovations Products in this forum

replacement motor

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2006, 10:59 PM
targit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replacement motor

Hi, not really had much flight time, but I was just starting to make progress when one of my motors died, I stripped it and one of the brushes has just "snapped" off completely.The motor doesnt look like anything fancy, but there's no part number on it. Has anyone had any luck finding an equivalent for the DF VTi ? ( I tried searching the origional thread, but it refuses to work )

Thanks
Old 01-08-2006, 01:15 AM
Sky High

Default RE: replacement motor

What original thread are you referring to?

I would just break down and order one from DFI if I needed a new motor. I always like to find the best price for the SAME component or quality but I tell ya, all that time searching and saving a dollar or two just ain't worth it when you can just get one that works from somewhere that you know has the right replacement and get flying again. Did you crash because of the motor failure?
Old 01-09-2006, 05:51 PM
targit

OK, I re-searched the origional thread using "mabuchi" - which is on the side of the motor. This time I found some results, the motor is a mabuchi 370 ( a common type apparently ), I took a drive to an RC store across town and returned with my new motor, which the guy had to pull out of a model on the shelf! but the shaft is too short - so I had to take the thing apart and make one good motor fromt the two and now I'm flying again, didnt even need to adjust the trim at all.
So if you need to replace a motor then it's definitely a 370, but not just any old 370! the rk-370sd-2870 appears to be the right length shaft (45mm total), but as the origional ones dont have any details (on mine anyway) I can't be certain.
It was cheaper and quicker getting a motor this way than sending off to Canada for a motor made in China, which is just round the corner from me in Australia :P

I just realised how lucky I was in this failure, I was only hovering and landed for a cool off (and to get the fly off the end of my nose - a common problem in Oz) and then my DF wouldn't take off properly , it pitched badly as i powered it up , so i checked the motors and found this problem! lucky escape
Old 01-09-2006, 06:39 PM
Sky High

ORIGINAL: targit

.....It was cheaper and quicker getting a motor this way than sending off to Canada for a motor made in China, which is just round the corner from me in Australia :P.......
Well, I'm glad to hear that you got that resolved quick. I hate downtime. How much was that new motor and did it come with a pinion gear installed? I think DFI sells motors with installed gear for $12.

I'm probably about to have to perform a complete motor replacement because I'm having to adjust trims much more than in the beginning too.

Old 01-09-2006, 10:08 PM
targit

cost was $15 Australian which is cheaper than $13 US, even without shipping. Main factor here was downtime, so even if it had been more expensive I would have got one locally. Because the motor I got had the wrong length shaft (too short) I had to transplant the brush and rear bearing plate from the new motor to the old, so I am still using the origional pinion gear. My motors haven't seen that much use yet, so the origional commutator isn't worn out and it all runs fine