Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Draganfly Innovations Products
Reload this Page >

Alternate Transmitter for Use with the DF

Community
Search
Notices
Draganfly Innovations Products Discuss all the Draganfly Innovations Products in this forum

Alternate Transmitter for Use with the DF

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 05:39 PM
Hunter850
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternate Transmitter for Use with the DF

Is anyone using a different transmitter than the one that came with their DF. I am using the Hitec laser 6 that came with mine at present.

My collection of electric flying machines is expanding and I am considering getting a transmitter that I can use with DF, Blade CX etc.

Been looking at the Hitec 7C with the spectra module for switching channels.

Is anyone familiar with this or at least what are you using to fly with.

Hunter
Old 01-10-2006, 07:24 PM
Sky High

Default RE: Alternate Transmitter for Use with the DF

I'm about to get a digital Futaba transmitter with a 12" rubber ducky antenna for my DF. Has anyone else used a 12" rubber ducky instead of the typical metal telescoping kind? I used one recently and it was a weird feeling not having it stick way out in front of me like the other kind. It also makes me a little paranoid about whether it can control the helo at a distance as good as the longer one. The short one is just a coiled version of the long one and performs the same. Another advantage of the shorter one is that you don't have to worry about clipping your rotors by accident when flying close to yourself.
Old 01-13-2006, 12:00 AM
ufoman

Where did you find your 12" rubber ducky antenna. Do you have a website that sells them? No need for the longer range really as helis rarely get beyond 50 yards.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:56 AM
Moe3754
Banned
My Feedback: (14)

If you want one I have two of them that are RED and I cannot use them E-mail me at [email protected] and I will set you up if you want,they are both brand new but will not work on my optic 6.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74534.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	386776  
Old 01-13-2006, 05:08 PM
Sky High

ORIGINAL: ufoman

Where did you find your 12" rubber ducky antenna. Do you have a website that sells them? No need for the longer range really as helis rarely get beyond 50 yards.
DFI sells the kit for $24.95 and it should fit HiTech, Futaba, and JR units. The picture shows different colors but they only sell black.

http://parts.rctoys.com/rc-toys-hobbies/Items/335869%20-%20(S)?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51677.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	14.4 KB
ID:	386929  
Old 01-13-2006, 05:23 PM
Sky High

Moe, were you ever able to use your ducky with any other transmitter? I only used the one I had a couple of times so I don't have that much time with it to give a good comparison to telescoping antennas.
Old 01-13-2006, 05:39 PM
Moe3754
Banned

I used it on my 9CHPS when I had it and I use the other one on my laser 6 for my DF pro but I had to send it back to RC Toys for replacement,so my DF is down right now and my 9CHPS is gone.The one I have is the same as the one's that is in the advert that you are showing but I was able to get a red one.They are great antennas and they are in two pieces with a BNC connector so you can take the antenna off of the radio.
Old 01-13-2006, 05:42 PM
Sky High

Why did you have to send it back? That is a great feature that I liked, being able to remove it. [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 01-13-2006, 06:14 PM
Moe3754
Banned

No I had to send the lazer 6 back because I was having trouble with it and they are going to replace it for me.
Old 01-14-2006, 12:26 PM
ufoman

Moe3754 I also have the optic 6. Does the one that Draganfly sells work on the Optic 6? It is black in color on their web site.
Old 01-14-2006, 12:48 PM
Moe3754
Banned

The one I have is the same as the one on the Dragonfly site and it has nothing to do with the Antenna but how the radio is designed at the antenna opening.The ring of plastic that goes around the antenna if you look at the way your radio comes apart you will see what I am talking about,is to flimsy and will eventually break because of the way the antenna attaches to the radio.The only one that I know of that would work well with the optic is this one,Power Stick Antenna located here http://www.hobby-lobby.com/antennas.htm I have had one of these also and they work very well with all types of radios because they screw in just like the OEM metal antennas that come with the radios.The only down side is that it is one piece and does not have the BNC connector like the red one I have.Also I got the red one because I did not buy it from Dragonfly but did a google search for those antennas and found a place that has all the colors.Good luck and if you would like to try the antenna for yourself I will give you a deal on the one I have.
Old 04-13-2006, 02:34 PM
intrim

good news, bad news

People are correct in thinking a loaded antenna( rubber ducky ) will work on their radios
the load or coil in the base is whats going to replace or help match the transmitter to the receiver. but a loaded antenna does not have the range and capture ability of the old long antenna. I dont think it should be an issue since we keep heli's closer than planes but if you have the kind of luck i do then wherever you are you will find the perfect storm. maybe the batteries could stand more of a charge, that combined with just a lousy day with a lot of pressure in the air causing poor reception. Sky , the point you brought up about flying directly overhead and keeping the antenna 90 degrees perpendicular instead i right at the DF because it is a poor signature. well you are kind of starting out that way with the duck. frequency wise it is the same but the way an antenna captures the signal i think you will want whatever antenna is the longest. but at least you wont hear the ugly sound your long antenna makes when it gets chopped up by some blades[sm=punching.gif]

mike
Old 04-13-2006, 03:21 PM
madean

ufoman,

Does the Optic 6 work well with the DF V? Are you using an Optic 6 with Spectra module?

Thanks
Mike

ORIGINAL: ufoman

Moe3754 I also have the optic 6. Does the one that Draganfly sells work on the Optic 6? It is black in color on their web site.
Old 04-13-2006, 08:21 PM
targit

Having once used my antenna to fend off my DF when it got a little too friendly in a breeeze I am in favour of the Telescopic
When it comes to antenna, there is an old saying - the more metal you got in the air the better!
A rubber duck type helical antenna will never be as efficient a radiating element as a straight wire, but RC Tx antenna are rarely resonant and not greatly efficient and possibly (if properly matched and tuned) a helical could out perform a telescopic which was not matched or tuned.
If you examine the guts of your Tx it has usually got some kind of matching cicuit built in for the antenna it was supplied with, so changing just the mast could be bad news for your effective radiated power.
Portable antenna are never very efficient, but a big one will beat a little one 9 times out of 10.
All that said, we get a pretty good deal when it comes to the radio link- we usually have line of sight, unobstructed signal path and could probably operate quite well with a damp piece of string , However the same goes for all the other Tx or source of radio noise within range of your DF, they all get to have that ideal signal path too (getting worse as you go higher)
It would be a good thing if the stongest signal reaching YOUR DF was YOUR Tx, and not some kid down the street with a park flyer