Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Draganfly Innovations Products
Reload this Page >

Thermal Intelligence, Carbon Fiber & Fire

Community
Search
Notices
Draganfly Innovations Products Discuss all the Draganfly Innovations Products in this forum

Thermal Intelligence, Carbon Fiber & Fire

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 05:45 AM
Sky High

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thermal Intelligence, Carbon Fiber & Fire

Has anyone that has Ti flown over a large fire with Ti activated? If so, how did it react to that heat signature? Mike at Spectro says that extreme heat makes the Ti cause the helo to move away rather quickly like opposing magnets. I wonder if you can at least fly around the perimeter without the Ti being affected much if at all. I am planning on flying over a controlled burn and want to know what to expect if anyone has any experience with this. I am expecting a thermal updraft from the heat and will not fly lower than 50 ft or maybe 100 ft, we'll see. I bet a burning structure would produce an intense column of superheated air. I know that colder air is denser and therefore provides greater lift but does the air density for lift change that much in heated air. Is carbon fiber flammable and would the rotors become warped in mid air? This ought to be interesting.

Uhhh, I just found out that carbon fiber is very flammable!
Old 01-13-2006, 11:24 PM
Phodel

Default RE: Thermal Intelligence, Carbon Fiber & Fire

Sky:

Be careful. I do know that the rotors become malformed and limp around 130 degrees.....talking about losing lift! May give new meaning to crash and burn! I think the Spectro guys would know about how the DF would react to large heat signatures considering they are the primary developers of the circuit board. For example: hover your heli (with Ti enabled) beyond 15ft from you to start then walk towards it........notice that it wants to go the other way.

Let me know how your fire test goes.....as a matter of a fact I think you ought to video it!! May make a good crash and burn vid!

Phodel
Old 01-13-2006, 11:37 PM
Sky High

ORIGINAL: Phodel

Sky:

Let me know how your fire test goes.....as a matter of a fact I think you ought to video it!! May make a good crash and burn vid!
Thanks for your encouragement![sm=lol.gif]

I have flown that thing dangerously close to my body, within 12", and it didn't want move away from me. In fact, I had to duck and back away from it. Mike did mention that it would tend to move away from intense heat sources like a hot roof or pavement. I don't intend on flying right over the fire, if not for anything else because of the thermal updraft. Have you ever felt the updraft from a campfire? It's kind of strong. I can't image the heat given off from a huge fire with 1000's of degrees of heat. As I stated above, I got a piece of CF wreckage and lit it and unfortunately it burned very well. We'll see happens.
Old 01-14-2006, 09:54 AM
Phodel

Sky:

Actually, I was referring to hovering it no more than 3-4 ft above the ground and you moving towards it but you must start it out from over 15ft away first. The sensors see your heat signature and want to move away from it. This good if you fly in a park where there are hords of kids that want to try to touch the thing while hovering!

Why do you want to fly it over a fire? The simple solution would be to turn off Ti while flying it around the fire..........I think everything would be fine then as long as you stay away from the flames. Even though the CF catches fire I am sure that it doesn't as fast as the ABS or PVC blades (even that requires direct contact with the flame).

Good luck! Remember to video it when and if you do this test.

Phodel