Community
Search
Notices
Draganfly Innovations Products Discuss all the Draganfly Innovations Products in this forum

Draganfly Chat

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 01:07 PM
scottslc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Draganfly Chat

Guys, i've got to say I miss the old chat forum where you never quite knew what the subject was going to be. To be sure, this new forum is more structured and for basic info, thats great. Still it takes the adventure out of our chat group. From day to day I would check in to see where and what other pilots were up to.

If it's cool, id like to start a thread just for chat, a place to share experiences, problems, successes or what ever.

It's been a long winter and I'm tired of hovering in my garage. Yesterday was nice to I took to the park. Within minutes I had already broken 2 blades. I took it as a godly sign that winter wasn't ready to have me back in the air. I went back to the garage... sigh.

And how was your weekend?

Scott

Oh, was looking through things, found this nice crash shot... enjoy http://www.slcity.com/df/crash
Old 02-27-2006, 01:51 PM
poorjohn6

Default RE: Draganfly Chat

Scott, I agree with your thoughts and DO miss the old approach.

I, too, took the DF up for the first time since the fall. I used the TI mode and went up about 300 feet where the wind took control. Had to cut power to get it back and broke two blades also. Still felt great.

John
Old 02-27-2006, 02:16 PM
sdlevent

Hi All,

I'm a newcomer to the whole Draganfly experience. Started with my V Ti Pro, about a month ago, and have been lurking here for a few weeks picking up many tips, along the way from all you more experienced fliers out there. I've been concentrating on outdoor flying for the most part, luckily the weather down here has been quite mild. Wasn't able to get out this past weekend though, too windy for a beginner flier like myself. Gotta say how amazed I was, how easy it is to fly it (with Ti on) in very low to no wind.

Granted I've had my share of mild crashes, replacing several motor mounts and the wire harness assembly so far. I was also pleasantly surprised how durable and how easy it is to replace parts on it.

This weekend was sadly a bit too windy 15-20 mph wind gusts, to do some flying, will try to get some in later tonight though.

Happy Flying
- The Other Scott
Old 02-27-2006, 02:20 PM
poorjohn6

After breaking a board support, I decided to try to add stabilization by replacing the main rods with ones that are 50% longer. I am keeping the cross supports the same distance from the circuit board by using some old broken parts to move the connectors from the motor mount closer to the circuit board.

When I get it done I will try a flight and let you know and will post a picture.

John

PS - Lets keep a general chat board open
Old 02-27-2006, 03:06 PM
yvesOttawa

For sure Scott. Bring on the ol' chatting of just about everything I too am looking forward in seeing the change of season. I don't even bother flying indoors anymore. Just enjoy going outside when the wind is calm and not too cold. I switched to the CF blades back in the fall and just hear the "clickety clack" of them hitting the struts. They don't break but still make me nervous when I hear them hit

Bring on the warm weather!
Old 02-27-2006, 04:08 PM
scottslc

Hey David's been making some super cf blades. If your looking for some new ones, you might give him a ring. They make me nervious, but I like the black blade look... David K [[email protected]]

Scott
Old 02-27-2006, 07:41 PM
yvesOttawa

Hey Scott, I'll keep that in mind but I've got the RC-play ones from Steven Lee. I've had them since October and probably clocked close to 30 hours with them. Do these things even chip or break? What a change from those flimsy stock ones[:'(]

Are you nervous because of the damage they could do?

I see you also resurrected the infamous "flipclip". Pretty funny. Bring on those sun baked roofs and Ti
Old 02-27-2006, 07:47 PM
yvesOttawa

ORIGINAL: sdlevent

I'm a newcomer to the whole Draganfly experience.
Hey Scott, glad you could join our little club, welcome! Feel free to discuss your ups and downs. We've all been through the best of times and the worst. I've crashed my DF a few times but I always managed to get it back together again. These things are surprisingly tuff as you can tell by our posts [>:].
Old 02-27-2006, 08:28 PM
davidtkal
My Feedback: (1)

Hey! The old gang's coming back, I'll buy the first round! I've spent way too much time in the garage smelling epoxy resin making blades. I need to get out and start flying on a regular basis. I also missing the old forum format. Nothing like the free flow of thought and information to spark our imaginations. So what's everybody think about the Draganflyer UAV, anybody know the cost?
Old 02-27-2006, 08:42 PM
poorjohn6

I checked with Mike at DF regarding the UAV. Told it STARTS at $10,000 for the basic and goes up! This really cools my interest.

There are other UAV's out there for around $15k that are even more automatic. I ran across one that even takes off and lands itself, all you do is use a joystick to send it where you want it in addition to automatic GPS navigation. It was designed for non pilots.

John
Old 02-27-2006, 09:16 PM
scottslc

you'll laugh, it's the sound. They almost whirrr. Hey welcome there other Scott (sdlevent). Everything crashes eventually. One big plus of the draganfly is the parts are relatively cheap and easily replaced. I know, pulling out the old crash stuff. But hey, soon i'll have lots of new crashes to show off...

Hey John, i like the new uav. little pricey for me though. I'd just crash it...

Scott
Old 02-27-2006, 10:07 PM
poorjohn6

If you would crash, then there is no place for me. After all, you are a real pilot while I am an outstanding crasher.

John
Old 02-27-2006, 10:35 PM
yvesOttawa

ORIGINAL: poorjohn6

Told it STARTS at $10,000 for the basic and goes up!
That's about $9,000 over my budget. Plus it doesn't have 4 rotors so who cares
Old 03-01-2006, 08:09 AM
coptercaper

Poorjohn6,

You mentioned adding 50% longer arms to the DF. Below is an Australian company that sells this modification. They too claim increased stability. Also, check out their DF landing gear, it's a neat setup. Anyone bought from them or created similar home-made mods?

http://www.radiocontrolled.com.au/news_and_events.htm
After breaking a board support, I decided to try to add stabilization by replacing the main rods with ones that are 50% longer. I am keeping the cross supports the same distance from the circuit board by using some old broken parts to move the connectors from the motor mount closer to the circuit board.

When I get it done I will try a flight and let you know and will post a picture.

John

PS - Lets keep a general chat board open
Old 03-01-2006, 09:56 AM
detroitdr

On that europe site you just posted... they show "landing gear" which looks like a "spring" I wonder if this really helps? Anyone tried it?
Old 03-01-2006, 12:38 PM
scottslc

Id be curious, also it says that the longer arms make the eyecam smoother. I tried doubling my landing struts (vertical risers) to see it the extra support helped. I just broke them twice as fast...

Hey here's question. Now that we are getting antsy with the warm weather, what would be some good video to shoot? Here's an example of what i mean. John lives up in Idaho, i'm in Utah. We want to get together and film his draganfly from my draganfly in the air. Might make for a cool vid. Whats your ideas?

Scott
Old 03-01-2006, 12:50 PM
coptercaper

Sure... I'll fly in from NC and use mine to video the mid-air crash! Neat idea, make sure RADIO frequencies are different.
Id be curious, also it says that the longer arms make the eyecam smoother. I tried doubling my landing struts (vertical risers) to see it the extra support helped. I just broke them twice as fast...

Hey here's question. Now that we are getting antsy with the warm weather, what would be some good video to shoot? Here's an example of what i mean. John lives up in Idaho, i'm in Utah. We want to get together and film his draganfly from my draganfly in the air. Might make for a cool vid. Whats your ideas?

Scott
Old 03-01-2006, 01:05 PM
poorjohn6

Hold It!!!!

I did buy the Australian longer arms as well as the landing gear. I am in the process of installing them now.

HOWEVER

That outfit is just plane nasty. They sent me a long tirade about how awful America is and how much better they are. They went on to say they don't care if I mentioned their attitude to other DF owners. Also, you can buy the longer arms at any hobby shop. As to the landing gear, it is a spring.

John
Old 03-01-2006, 05:28 PM
coptercaper

Do give us your critiques, you are the only person I know with this mod (modification)!

Hold It!!!!

I did buy the Australian longer arms as well as the landing gear. I am in the process of installing them now.

HOWEVER

That outfit is just plane nasty. They sent me a long tirade about how awful America is and how much better they are. They went on to say they don't care if I mentioned their attitude to other DF owners. Also, you can buy the longer arms at any hobby shop. As to the landing gear, it is a spring.

John
Old 03-01-2006, 06:10 PM
poorjohn6

Kindly explain what a 'mod' is.

John
Old 03-01-2006, 07:46 PM
coptercaper

MOD = Modification

Kindly explain what a 'mod' is.

John
Old 03-02-2006, 12:19 AM
Koop

To all,
I was doing a little surfing and I came across something amazing. Check it out at http://pixelito.reference.be/

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw69115.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	418476  
Old 03-02-2006, 11:24 AM
coptercaper

Where do I get one of these?

ORIGINAL: Koop

To all,
I was doing a little surfing and I came across something amazing. Check it out at http://pixelito.reference.be/

Old 03-02-2006, 11:29 AM
scottslc

Koop, that is way cute. I like the videos on his site.
Old 03-02-2006, 11:29 AM
coptercaper

Sorry I've mentioned this before, but anyone know what http://battletestedrc.com/ is all about?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.