Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Draganfly Innovations Products
Reload this Page >

MY thunder power DF battery

Community
Search
Notices
Draganfly Innovations Products Discuss all the Draganfly Innovations Products in this forum

MY thunder power DF battery

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 07:13 PM
kg4izw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY thunder power DF battery

I have two of those 1320mah 3cell batteries and one of them is acting weird. OK, both of them are acting weird, but one might be dangerous. I have only had a DF for a little over a month and am now getting good enough to fly it for a whole pack without landing. Is this bad on the batteries? I always let them cool before I charge them back up , but just recently they both have started getting just a little bit rounded on the top of them when they need charging. Once I charge them they are flat on top again. I am very careful to land the DF once it requires more than 60% throttle to hover, so I dont think Im running them down too far. When I put the meter on them they say 10.3.
OK now the weird part. Just this past week, one battery has had a noticable change. One of them does not last as long as the other. In fact it only lasts about half as long. And when I get finished using it, this battery feels VERY hot on the edges near the bottom. It is not the board in the battery thats heating up, I think it is the bottom cell. It also smells a bit burnt after a good flight too. From my limited experience I would say that one cell is out of balance. I thought these batteries would not get out of balance. I called RCToys and Thunder Power. No one wants to help.
What am I doing wrong?? How long should it take these batteries to recharge? It takes mine like 3 hours each. So I know they are not getting charged too fast.
Is it NECESSARY for me to land the DF half way through a discharge and let everything cool down??
Someone has to know more about this than me.
Is continuing to use this battery with one hot cell dangerous? Can it be fixed?
Sorry for the long post. **sigh**
Paulb.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:00 AM
scottslc

Default RE: MY thunder power DF battery

Mine get a little puffy too and I'm told this is a bad thing. I just make sure when I feel the power decreasing, it's time to change the batteries. You don't want the flyer up very high anyway when this happens. It'll come down quick.

The Thunder Power batteries are a common battery available in most Hobie stores. If your having problems I would drop by one and ask the salesmen. In my local store, the guys all have r/c stuff (cars, heli's, planes) so they know about this stuff from experience. I'd show them your battery and see what they say. Wish I could be of more help. Good luck!
Scott
Old 10-04-2006, 08:58 PM
kg4izw

Default RE: MY thunder power DF battery

Update:
The guy at RCToys told me to discontinue the use of my charger if it was putting more then 12.6 volts into the battery. I tested it this evening once it had finished charging but was still connected to the charger. It showed 12.70 volts. When I disconnected the charger, I tested the battery and it said 12.02 volts. This sounds weird to me. Anyone know why? I know I am full of questions. I just wish someone could offer some answers.