Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Draganfly Innovations Products
Reload this Page >

Speaking of the X-Pro...

Notices
Draganfly Innovations Products Discuss all the Draganfly Innovations Products in this forum

Speaking of the X-Pro...

Old 12-16-2006, 04:44 PM
TheHindmost

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speaking of the X-Pro...

Hey folks,

Speaking of the DF X-Pro, does anyone here own one or has anyone here (except Adam from DFI) flown one? Adam, if you're reading this, how many X-Pros do you guys sell in a year, approximately?

Just curious...

Will
Old 12-16-2006, 04:59 PM
reno.24

Default RE: Speaking of the X-Pro...

Simone from "VOLOVISIONE.COM" can give you some comments about his X-PRO.

Not very positive however.....

He said to me that the X-PRO is not good in windy conditions and over 20 meters...and that its motors warm up often.

Too expensive he said.....for that price (and for aerial photography), he chooses rc helicopters without any hesitations.
Old 12-16-2006, 07:52 PM
vi360

Yes, I noticed VOLOVISIONE shoots with either the DF pro or the fancy helicopter they have. I could only find one of their videos with the X-pro and that was them fooling around with it. I suspect the DF works for them to shoot around people, public places and indoors. Then use the big copter to carry full scale cameras in the open and controled areas.
Old 12-18-2006, 01:22 PM
draganfly.com
My Feedback: (40)

It's something like four a year, and usually to companies or universities.
-Adam
Old 12-18-2006, 05:18 PM
TheHindmost

Thanks, Adam!

Any chance DFI is developing a quad-copter with lifting capabilities similar to the X-Pro, but with TI and (hopefully) a lower price tag than the X-Pro? Is the $4,995 on the RCToys site the firm price, or is it negotiable?

To me (and this is only intended as feedback, not a dig or anything at DFI), the X-Pro seems seriously overpriced for the capability.

Will
Old 12-19-2006, 02:10 PM
draganfly.com

Will, we don't disagree. When customers phone we always try to convince them to first buy a Draganflyer V to learn on. Then, if they want to take aerial video, that our best product for them is the SAVS. If they want to carry an unusual payload we recommend the X-Pro or waiting for a future large Draganfly helicopter (it's on the list of things to develop).

The X-Pro price is firm.

-Adam
Old 12-19-2006, 04:24 PM
TheHindmost

At such low volumes, I guess I'm not that surprised at the price, actually.

I'm glad to hear a larger DF is on the ideas list! Also, now that high-megapixel digital cameras themselves are getting so small and light (not to mention, relatively cheap), it'd be neat to see a solution from DFI which came with an articulated general purpose camera mount, with video downlink and remote shutter control from the get-go. If a product like that could be made in the $2,500 range which had those features (not including the camera, but including everything else, and with TI or some other self-leveling technology to enable high-altitude flight), I bet it'd get some takers.

(I'm not an aerial photographer, BTW...I just find the technology interesting.)

Will
Old 12-19-2006, 06:11 PM
vi360

Higher pixels without a larger sensor means more noise or more noise reduction blur. I am more intrerested in lighter weight, wideangle lens, 16:9 and optical stabilization. You can get cheap, light-weight camera triggers and video downlinks now. We just need a little more lift and stableness.
Old 12-19-2006, 07:07 PM
TheHindmost

Just to be clear, I was just thinking DFI could come out with a general purpose, integrated solution, providing everything EXCEPT the camera. Just design a general purpose camera mount (clamp mount of some kind?), but let the photographer choose their camera/lens.

I wasn't talking about higher resolution in the same form factor as those tiny cameras DFI has available now.

Will
Old 12-19-2006, 07:41 PM
vi360

That would be very helpful.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:39 PM
TheHindmost

ORIGINAL: vi360

That would be very helpful.
So what about it, Adam? On the boards?

Will
Old 12-21-2006, 11:18 AM
draganfly.com

There's a limit on what I'll disclose here.

I agree that such a device would be useful to some people.

Our company name is Draganfly Innovations Inc. Our business is to come out with new and innovative products. It's what we are doing.

-Adam
Old 12-21-2006, 12:45 PM
TheHindmost

Cool....and completely understandable, of course!

I hope it was clear from the smilies that my query was basically tongue-in-cheek: I didn't expect a real response!

Will
Old 12-21-2006, 01:05 PM
reno.24

Adam,

Is it too much if i ask you if Draganfly Innovations Inc. will release "something new" in 2007 ?
Old 12-21-2006, 05:20 PM
draganfly.com

reno, our next helicopter is still many months out. If we do release in 2007, it will be late 2007. Early 2008 wouldn't surprise me.
-Adam
Old 12-21-2006, 11:28 PM
Fesfly

I really hope it is a brushless hellcopter with lots of juice. Should start a new thread titled what would you like to see in the next model (if there is one) maybe push them a little...
Old 12-21-2006, 11:48 PM
vi360

I would prefer it to be upgradable from what we have now rather than a whole new model.... some of us are poor.
Old 12-22-2006, 12:06 AM
TheHindmost

Whatever "it" is has probably already been decided, and is in the mid-to-late development stage (based on early 2008 availability). And Adam probably can't talk any more about it (no one in his position could, except for official company announcements).

But that doesn't mean we aren't curious!

Will
Old 01-20-2007, 05:58 PM
xrayjb2

If anyone is still looking at this thread,

I have an X-Pro. It is actually one of 4 or 5 prototypes from Mike Dammer. It is a brushless version, and it is fantastic. It can fly 30 minutes at a time, with lukewarm motors. It is actually 1/2 pound lighter than the old version, accounting for most of the increase in flight time. I have affixed a 7 megapixel exilim camera, and have taken photos. Anyone interested in photos of the craft or aerial shots let me know. Oh yes, almost forgot, it does have thermal leveling as well.

John
Old 01-20-2007, 06:08 PM
Fesfly

Hi John,

That sounds very interesting. I would like to hear/see more...

Thanks
Old 01-20-2007, 07:44 PM
TheHindmost

A big "Me, too!" here...I'd love to see some pics of the X-Pro you have and some of the shots you've taken with it.

Will
Old 01-20-2007, 08:17 PM
xrayjb2

I'm new to the forum but have been a "lurker" for a while. I have followed the X-Pro development for several years now. Mike has been working on the brushless version for some time now. The final board is not yet completed. The one I have (I believe number 4 of 5) uses Himax brushless motors. He told me they are rated for up to 75 watts, but use much less (35 watts or so). They get just barely warm after a full flight. It is very steady in calm wind, less so in 10-15 mph winds, although that should improve with the custom speed controllers for the motors. Right now there are four little speed controllers velcored to the baseplate. It will fly a full 30 minutes with no payload. with 1/2 pound payload, this is reduced to 20 minutes (but still plent for aerial photography. I am including two photos; one is of the unit on our kitchen table. The second is our cul-de-sac in Tucson. I have probably not had it higher than 200-300 feet, but even at that height it becomes quite small. Also, it has a "shorty" antenna, so I am a little leary about sending it way up, as I have not done a range test yet. I you guys can see these photos.

I've had many RC contraptions in my life, including a large steel/aluminium RC paraglider that can accommodate the weight of an SLR camera (5 pounds or so). The x-pro is definitely the coolest toy I've had (if you can call it a toy). It is AMAZINGLY quiet. The main noise is the whir of the carbon props. It definitely looks "unworldly", and seems to draw a small crowd in the neighborhood when I have it out.

John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80261.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	602710   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uq49900.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	602711  
Old 01-20-2007, 09:55 PM
Fesfly

Yess, very nice indeed. It is good to see those motors on there! (and the tiny Ti board). Were you flying in 10mph winds with Ti enabled?
Old 01-20-2007, 10:00 PM
TheHindmost

Nice! Great shots, and thanks for posting them! (Post more... )

That looks like quite a machine, and not very much like the X-Pro on the RCToys web site! I wonder if DFI can make something like that available at a reasonable price...If they can, I think it would sell!

Will
Old 01-20-2007, 10:01 PM
hiaber

SWEET! Boy I'd love to get my hands on one of those beauties - unfortunately i just blew all my buckos on a VTI pro. - and of course the obvious reason - not quite readily available yet!

Big and Brushless with Ti and big payload - what else could a DF fan need??

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.