Community
Search
Notices
Draganfly Innovations Products Discuss all the Draganfly Innovations Products in this forum

Custom Camera Mount

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 10:19 AM
holyschmoley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Custom Camera Mount

[quote]

Less then a $1000???...even a good T-rex se 450 will cost ya $1200 with everything and it is to small for good AP.

Now I know this is a different subject, and I don't anything about Trex's yet, as I'm not ready to move up to one. But I started looking at them more recently because an experienced friend of a friend is selling his used 'suped up' Trex for $600-700. The guy that told me about it said they go for $900-1100 new. Then I checked on Ebay, and most are around $400 like this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Align-T-rex-trex...QQcmdZViewItem
which needs a gyro/servos/receiver, etc.
But even WITH a DX7, I saw this for less than a $1000:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Align-T-rex-trex...QQcmdZViewItem

So what gives? Sorry, I know this is completely off-subject from this thread and my original post except for I want to know a little more about Trex's and their capabilites before jumping into a SAVs.

Old 03-20-2007, 11:40 AM
techrtr

I'm with yves. I'm tired of people posting their super wonderful photos and then refusing to respond to questions about their setup. Dude, no one's going to move in on your territory. Everyone else, stop asking the guy to show a photo of his setup. He isn't going to show you so stop stroking his ego. I'm just glad guys like Alan Szabo aren't so dang secretive.
Old 03-20-2007, 11:56 AM
SAVS

The way I see it is this (since no one can stop me from posting "the way I see it" here): The title of this thread is "Custom Camera Mount", if we are not sharing ideas and material about "Custom Camera Mount" than post somewhere else. That includes ALL of us! (including me but than again I just broke that rule)

Ok' just so I do not break my own (new) rule, here are a few pics of my "Custom Camera Mount" for my Slow Stick:

NOTE: It also mounts to my SAVS "GOTCHA!"
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98324.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	645944   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dz80570.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	645945   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd81222.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	645946   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ex68233.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	645947   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cn79898.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	645948   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ja41042.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	645949   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ce70403.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	645950  
Old 03-20-2007, 12:26 PM
holyschmoley

ORIGINAL: SAVS

The way I see it is this (since no one can stop me from posting "the way I see it" here): The title of this thread is "Custom Camera Mount", if we are not sharing ideas and material about "Custom Camera Mount" than post somewhere else. That includes ALL of us! (including me but than again I just broke that rule)

Ok' just so I do not break my own (new) rule, here are a few pics of my "Custom Camera Mount" for my Slow Stick:

NOTE: It also mounts to my SAVS "GOTCHA!"

For video, I know you just turn it on. To take pics, do you guys use a remote or are there cameras that you can use with settings that just keep taking pics every few seconds or something?
Old 03-20-2007, 12:33 PM
SAVS

I have (2) setups for my digital (Pentax S7) but I did not go with the servo direction. I picked up a GentLED Shutter;

http://www.kapshop.com/product_info....da3ae22f1504d7

and a GentLED Auto;

http://www.kapshop.com/product_info....products_id=88

I am using the Auto right now as I have not figured out (or taken the time as of yet) to hook it into my transmitter (Futaba T6EXAP). I have to admit that with the S7 set on 7MG and the Auto going at 8 seconds and a 2GB SD Card I can get a lot of pictures in a short flight. I can not frame it except for using the video link that points the same direction as the digital but it will work for now.

This downlink would work great but I will use what I have for awhile;

http://www.rangevideo.com/digilive.html

...Denny
Old 03-20-2007, 12:41 PM
techrtr

I think most people mount a micro servo on the camera to trip the shutter. RCToys has a harness that plugs into the board and then into the servo. I believe the gear switch on the transmitter can be used to activate the servo.
Old 03-20-2007, 01:33 PM
techrtr

BTW Clement7, I just watched your Sierra Madre video. Very nice! I'd like to see the whole thing. You didn't shoot it all with an SAVS?
Old 03-20-2007, 06:28 PM
holyschmoley

ORIGINAL: SAVS

I have (2) setups for my digital (Pentax S7) but I did not go with the servo direction. I picked up a GentLED Shutter;

http://www.kapshop.com/product_info....da3ae22f1504d7

and a GentLED Auto;

http://www.kapshop.com/product_info....products_id=88

I am using the Auto right now as I have not figured out (or taken the time as of yet) to hook it into my transmitter (Futaba T6EXAP). I have to admit that with the S7 set on 7MG and the Auto going at 8 seconds and a 2GB SD Card I can get a lot of pictures in a short flight. I can not frame it except for using the video link that points the same direction as the digital but it will work for now.

This downlink would work great but I will use what I have for awhile;

http://www.rangevideo.com/digilive.html

...Denny

I didn't know about that auto thing. If I were to do this, I was going to search for some camera w/ an auto feature. It's great to know those are available. Thanks.

So per some previous posts, my main concern is legality. I was hoping to at least start off w/ offering a couple of local realtors some aerial pics of property - at least to help pay for this thing. I've checked around a bit, and there is some interest. But now it seems it may not actually be legal. I could probably get away with it by just offering the service to realtors one by one, but it seems advertising may not be a good idea.
Old 03-20-2007, 06:59 PM
SAVS

My motto, do it until someone gives you a legal paper telling you to stop (or arrests you, either or). If they enforce this like they enforce the borders we got nothing to worry about [X(]
Old 03-20-2007, 07:38 PM
navy_chopper

Kudos please to SAVs for posting his intellectual property. My SAVs is enroute from DF as of tomorrow, I will certainly post my ideas.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:38 PM
EssBee

Hey SAVS

I'll echo Navy Chopper and say good effort posting your Custom mount photos. How is it working out with the Gentled auto? do you manage to get the shots you want as well as all the ones you don't? I confess to being a bit stupid but I don't really understand how the Gentled shutter device would trigger the shutter (and can't work it out from the site you linked to either). Presumably with the Gentled shutter you still need a servo attached to the camera to actually trigger the shutter? If not - how does it work?

So another question SAVS - do you mount this rig with your S7 on your SAVS with the video camera on board too? Can it handle that much payload? other threads on here seem to suggest that max payload is about 4.5 oz which is what the camera alone weighs..? Or do you take the SAVS video gear off when using the camera.

By the way - if you don't mind me asking - what is a Slow Stick???

cheers for the photos and all the useful info. I'm on the verge of ordering a DF - just can't decide whether to get the SAVS with the video gear on board because of the price or whether to try and create a custom video / photo rig as you and others have. How good is the SAVS video quality compared with what you can take with your S7?

Lots of questions there... :0)

Old 03-20-2007, 08:50 PM
SAVS

ORIGINAL: EssBee

Presumably with the Gentled shutter you still need a servo attached to the camera to actually trigger the shutter? If not - how does it work?

It works with a timer setting off an IR signal that the camera is set to look for and triggers the shutter. Nothing needed but Velcro.

So another question SAVS - do you mount this rig with your S7 on your SAVS with the video camera on board too? Can it handle that much payload? other threads on here seem to suggest that max payload is about 4.5 oz which is what the camera alone weighs..? Or do you take the SAVS video gear off when using the camera.

Never take the video gear off as it throws your COG off badly. Mount it all and take short flights. The SAVS comes with the HD motors and does not have much trouble lifting it. You just have to watch that you don't heat up the motors too much.

By the way - if you don't mind me asking - what is a Slow Stick???

Look here for a real eye opener! http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15736

cheers for the photos and all the useful info. I'm on the verge of ordering a DF - just can't decide whether to get the SAVS with the video gear on board because of the price or whether to try and create a custom video / photo rig as you and others have. How good is the SAVS video quality compared with what you can take with your S7?

The SAVS comes with a setup you would have a hard time replicating. The on board video and S7 comparison is an on going discussion and yet to be decided. "The video is as good as the pilot and editing" seems to be a standard answer.
Replies above ^
Old 03-20-2007, 09:18 PM
EssBee

OK so you must be talking about the Gentled auto device that triggers the shutter based on a timer. Then the other device you mentioned requires some adaptation to your RC transmitter to tell the gentled IR device to trigger the shutter? - I guess....

Right, so the SlowStick is a plane! That looks amazing the AP set-up on that. I think I prefer your mount SAVS as I trust metal more and I liked the foam cushioning between the base of the camera and the mount frame. Although on his one the foam inserted in to the brackets on the aircraft with elastic bands holding the mount on looked a clever anti-vibration alternative. Still maybe a bit fragile though.

Jeez once you start investigating this stuff a whole new world opens up - fascinating stuff, but a lot to learn! I was amazed to find that on that Gentled site people even using Kites for AP - never come across that before but sounds like a good strong wind alternative ..

They seem to have fully controllable mounts for those (i.e. pan and tilt operation) but that is going to be a lot more involved and too heavy for the DF I would think
Old 03-20-2007, 09:31 PM
SAVS

EssBee, oh' just wait until you see all the cool stuff folks are doing with a bit of electric, carbon fiber, and a motor!
Old 03-24-2007, 04:40 AM
Blackdragan

I posted some new pictures. http://draganflyer.smugmug.com/gallery/2240132
Old 03-26-2007, 11:09 AM
SAVS

ORIGINAL: Blackdragan

I posted some new pictures. http://draganflyer.smugmug.com/gallery/2240132
At'away to kill a thread BD...