Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Draganfly Innovations Products
Reload this Page >

New Draganfly owner on board.

Community
Search
Notices
Draganfly Innovations Products Discuss all the Draganfly Innovations Products in this forum

New Draganfly owner on board.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 10:54 PM
zBigBadWolf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Draganfly owner on board.

I just won an ebay auction for a V Ti. I am psyched. I want to add the Eyecam to it but as it stands, it will cost me $250 instead of the $150 extra if you buy it straight from their site. I emailed asking if I can upgrade to the cam version for $150 so we will see. I also wanted the training sim since this is my first heli. [8D] I've been building R/C rock crawlers for almost 6 years but somehow aside from the mechanical aspect I don't think much of that will apply.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:14 PM
laceycopter

Default RE: New Draganfly owner on board.

Welcome Aboard zBigBadWolf,
I'm sure you will be happy with it...But your right, learnin to fly is total different. Take your time and learn to hover close to the ground. just take it slow...all of sudden it just clicks and..Poof your flyin!!!

May all your flights be good ones and your landings soft...
Happy Flyin,
Lacey
Old 02-07-2007, 11:47 PM
zBigBadWolf

Thanks Lacey... I plan on taking it easy as this rig cost more than my wife ever excpected. LOL

Does anyone know if the DF would have a problem lifting a 3.4 oz (96 g) camera setup?
Old 02-08-2007, 12:29 AM
laceycopter

Shouldn't be any problem with that...but learn to fly before ya put the camera on....crashin and breaking a $6 motor mount is not a problem.....But a camera....well that will make ya cry!...
Happy Flyin,
Lacey
Old 02-08-2007, 09:31 AM
13BRV3

ORIGINAL: zBigBadWolf

I want to add the Eyecam to it but as it stands, it will cost me $250 instead of the $150 extra if you buy it straight from their site. I emailed asking if I can upgrade to the cam version for $150 so we will see.
I can make you a much better deal than that, on a brand new eyecam from DFI. I bought two of them on Ebay when they were still auctioning them off, but I didn't realize that my camcorder didn't have an input for the video. Send me an email if you're interested.

Cheers,
Rusty
13brv3 (at) bellsouth.net

Old 02-08-2007, 09:53 AM
zBigBadWolf

Lacey... absolutely! I will video tape my first attempts at flying this beast and if they are not too embarrasing, I'll post them for all to point and laugh at.

Rusty... email sent.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:27 PM
zBigBadWolf

Does anyone know if there a way I can get the sim software and cable since they don't include it with the plain V Ti?

Also, they sell a 12ft tether cord that looks like nothing but speaker wire with two aligator clips and a Tamiya connector. Am I missing something that they're charging $25 for this?
Old 02-08-2007, 01:46 PM
TheHindmost

Welcome aboard, zBig!

I've never used the tether, but I sure don't see why you couldn't just make one for much less money. It's just a power cord.

I'm afraid I can't help on the sim...I stopped using it when I realized it would let me hover the DF upside-down. But I really should get back to it just for orientation practice and basic heli practice, because I'm still pretty useless without TI enabled!

Again, welcome! There are lots of good people on this board, doing a wide variety of things with their DFs. This is a great resource; it sure helped me!

Will
Old 02-08-2007, 02:31 PM
zBigBadWolf

TheHindmost... thanks for the welcome. As I told my new pal Rusty (lol) for the money I dropped on this setup, if I don't love it, my wife will remind me for years to come.

Rusty suggested I call DF and have them add the sim cable to my order since the sofware can be downloaded. Done... I had already ordered the chassis stiffening kit and of course a crash kit.

Now I almost wish I had ordered an extra battery. Time to research whether or not my Triton can charge these "explosions waiting to happen" reliably. I've done some reading on LiPos and see that it won't be like charging my NiMhs.
Old 02-08-2007, 04:51 PM
13BRV3

Glad to hear it all worked out Rich. UPS has your new eyecam, so you should see it next Tuesday. You did say you wanted PAL video right

You'll find some good beginner tips in the archives. You can buy spray paint made for pastics, so you can paint your front prop a contrasting color to help keep track of which way you're pointing. There have been some good ideas for training gear as well. I copied the whiffle ball idea from someone who's name I apologize for forgetting. Now all I have to do is get up the nerve to do something other than hover in my gararge

Cheers,
Rusty
Old 02-08-2007, 07:52 PM
laceycopter

Also, they sell a 12ft tether cord that looks like nothing but speaker wire with two aligator clips and a Tamiya connector. Am I missing something that they're charging $25 for this?
I would get a few extra batteries and stay way from the tether...draggin a 12ft cord around doesn't sound like a good idea to me...
You have to stop every 15 mins. or so anyhow to let the motors cool...(and let your nerves wind down when you are just learnin)
Besides you'll end up tieing yourself up in knots and your wife will have to come save you...that probably wouldn't be a good thing...Ha!
Happy Flyin,
Lacey
Old 02-08-2007, 08:12 PM
Fesfly

I agree, I think you should get the batteries instead. I purchased the connectors to make my own but never did. I don't think you'll be in training mode for too long.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:51 AM
TheHindmost

Time to research whether or not my Triton can charge these "explosions waiting to happen" reliably. I've done some reading on LiPos and see that it won't be like charging my NiMhs.
Yeah, the videos I've seen of LiPos exploding are pretty impressive! Of couse, all of those videos involved fairly extreme abuse (massive overcharging), but still...

As for the tether, I agree with the others: Get batteries instead.

Will
Old 02-09-2007, 12:38 PM
zBigBadWolf

I just got an email from Draganfly that it will be almost two weeks before they ship my order because they are behind!!

Why do they have these things on eBay if they don't have them to ship? It clearly states in the shipping policy on the auction, "Once payment has been received and successfully processed, all items ship the same or next business day."

This really stinks...
Old 02-09-2007, 08:38 PM
13BRV3

Sorry to hear about the delay Rich. If there's a bright side, at least you have time to add another battery to your order. You might also ask them to send your sim cable now, so you can practice for a couple weeks. Might actually save you some parts if you don't have the real thing available to fly right away

Rusty
Old 02-09-2007, 09:52 PM
zBigBadWolf

As usual Rusty you are all kinds of on top of things with your ideas! And you call me the idea man, feh!

I just emailed them asking for the sim cable, tx and sim in the meantime.