Community
Search
Notices
Draganfly Innovations Products Discuss all the Draganfly Innovations Products in this forum

Smoking HD motor????

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 01:21 PM
a8906

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoking HD motor????

Ive had my SAVS for a couple of months now and the weather has been improving, so off to the park I go to try out the TI.....wow what a difference in control, not to mention freedom of space.
I have about 2.5 to 3 hours of indoor flying on my SAVS with only minor bumps (nothing broken).
after about 6 or 7 minutes into the flight the heli started listing to the right,Bad enough that I couldnt compensate with trim.
I landed it and proceded to check it out...aaagh! smoke coming from the right motor[&o]
That ended what I thought was going to be a great flight experience.
Took it home to inspect the motor:
Cogs free and clear.(no more friction on the suspect motor than on any of the others)
No discoloration on brush leads
Opened up the motor (smells burned)
No debris in brush channels
Brush springs in place and working properly.
Bearing free and clear (turning smoothly)
Stator smooth and round (no burn marks or excessive scratches)
All other motors running cool
with such a short time on the SAVS I dont think that I should be replacing motors yet
Any ideas??

Dave
Old 03-27-2007, 01:40 PM
Fesfly

Default RE: Smoking HD motor????

Check to see if your capacitor has a short against the metal motor housing (or any of the other connections for that matter). I had a smoking motor once due to this.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:02 PM
flyingdutchie

Had the same problem with a virtually new hd motor too...caused a lethal crash [] got a free motor from dfi though.contact em.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:17 PM
a8906

Hey Fes....Thanks for the tip but no joy the caps are clear and not shorting.

Dutchie......I contacted DF Innovations today and explained the problem and thay are sending me a new motor out right away.
Those guys seem to know what customer service is all about .......my hat is off to them.

Thanks fellas,

Dave.
Old 04-08-2007, 09:22 PM
Sky High

I've had an HD motor not function properly after wiring it backwards. Now, it just won't spin up like the others. By the way, does everyone know that when using the new HD motors the gold bottomed motors are for front and rear and the silver are for left and right? According to DFI, they will work if mixed and matched but not as efficiently.