Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Draganflier used for business?

I posted this in the multi-rotor forum and then saw this forum. I suppose this is best suited for this forum.

Hello all, I am a new Draganfly V Ti Pro SAVS owner. I am trying to find out if there is anybody out there using this platform for business (aerial videography service)? And if so where are you located and how long you have been doing it. I am fostering the idea of using this platform as a business tool.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Draganflier used for business?

Just a few "officially" listed, but if you look at the lower left corner in the black box titled "success Stories" on the rctoys page at:
    http://www.rctoys.com/

You will see some there. There are others here that use these for some type of "business" use and some (like me) that HOPE to if I can ever get the necessary controls down......

Good luck!
    Ed[8D]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Ed, I was just out in my yard today after about 3-4 hours of Flight Sim time and I can't seem to get the trimming thing down. also, On the FMS when I push "up" on the nose the Draganfly goes nose up (I'm used to regular airplane flight controls where when you push forard or up on the stick the craft goes nose down). but when I hooked everything up out in the yard today the controls react like I would expect (forward stick, nose down). Can someone tell me how to change this to match the real flying on the FMS?

Yes, I have seen those links on the RC Toys page at the bottom, I was just wondering if there were any new ones not listed. I am so grateful of all the info I have found on here and will do my best to contribute in the future.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: AVILLC

Thanks Ed, I was just out in my yard today after about 3-4 hours of Flight Sim time and I can't seem to get the trimming thing down. also, On the FMS when I push "up" on the nose the Draganfly goes nose up (I'm used to regular airplane flight controls where when you push forard or up on the stick the craft goes nose down). but when I hooked everything up out in the yard today the controls react like I would expect (forward stick, nose down). Can someone tell me how to change this to match the real flying on the FMS?

Yes, I have seen those links on the RC Toys page at the bottom, I was just wondering if there were any new ones not listed. I am so grateful of all the info I have found on here and will do my best to contribute in the future.
    On the trimming thing, I have learned that what you have trimmed in the FMS program does not necessarily work on the actual thing! So zero them out when you move to the real thing and start with SMALL increments. I found that I could see the unwanted inputs (movements of the df) while just running it barely on the ground, when it is almost ready to take off, and I could get the trimming set pretty good so that it wasn't doing a LOT of unwanted things once it was flying. Then I just tap the trim(s) needed once I am in the air and sort of steady.

In the FMS program, on the tool bar, go to CONTROLS and click on that, then click on the analog control then when the window pops up click on mapping/calibration and calibrate your transmitter to the program. that should help.

Have fun!
    Ed[8D]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

@AVILLC
    To fix your nose up-down (nick), go control In the FMS control and put a check in the INV nick channel box.
    Cheers,
    Jim

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Forget it! We tried for more than one year to get a working plattform for areal filming and photographie with a SAVS for 2500 $
    The SAVS is underpowered with the brush motors: you get crazy when it comes in a downwash! The TI is very sensitive, if you have overcast it runs you in big trouble sometimes one motor (most time in our case the right one ) stops working. We send 3 times a board to Mike Damar for repair. There is no support which realy helps you because you get no answers if you ask questions. DF is in that case a storry who goes to death! There are better systems with open source communication and better features: http://www.mikrokopter.com/ucwiki/
    and it is cheaper! Please be aware that we tried long time before we talk like that. It is proved! We also make the conversion to brushless motors but now we run in problems again. As long as the developper (Mike Damar) and the company (Draganflyer) have not a better relationship this product is now on the way to loose! We swapped to MK. It s enough for now with DF!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here's a challenge to anyone: list the reasons why a quad is better than a conventional for commercial work?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: ebiro

Forget it! We tried for more than one year to get a working plattform for areal filming and photographie with a SAVS for 2500 $
    The SAVS is underpowered with the brush motors: you get crazy when it comes in a downwash! The TI is very sensitive, if you have overcast it runs you in big trouble sometimes one motor (most time in our case the right one ) stops working. We send 3 times a board to Mike Damar for repair. There is no support which realy helps you because you get no answers if you ask questions. DF is in that case a storry who goes to death! There are better systems with open source communication and better features: http://www.mikrokopter.com/ucwiki/
    and it is cheaper! Please be aware that we tried long time before we talk like that. It is proved! We also make the conversion to brushless motors but now we run in problems again. As long as the developper (Mike Damar) and the company (Draganflyer) have not a better relationship this product is now on the way to loose! We swapped to MK. It s enough for now with DF!
    Ebrio,

Please show me a mikrokopter that cost $500 that can take video and stills like my KQuad which uses Dammer's latest brushless PWB:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=768115

Several people that were trying to build the mikrokopter and UAVP have given up and are now flying this design.

Mike

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Good question...What do you consider conventional?... Extension poles and cables have their purpose...Blimps are better indoors where there are people...scale airplanes can't easily frame a shot, but work well taking terrain feature video over a longer flight path...heli's that lift the same weight as a Q-Copter are heavier and have more lethal blades are noisier and cost more to repair, but they can probably do about the same job in the same wind conditions. I think we might have to do a fly off to see whether the heli or Q-Copter is a more stable platform in wind and how much it can take with a cam on-board.
    ORIGINAL: BB_DF

Here's a challenge to anyone: list the reasons why a quad is better than a conventional for commercial work?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ebrio,

Please show me a mikrokopter that cost $500 that can take video and stills like my KQuad which uses Dammer's latest brushless PWB:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=768115

Several people that were trying to build the mikrokopter and UAVP have given up and are now flying this design.

Mike
    Dear Mike
    please have a look here: http://www.rctoys.com/rc-products-ca...MPARE-ALL.html
    and tell me where you find an DF for 500 $? But the money is not the real problem!

Maybe you are in a good relationship with Mike Damar and your brushless conversion (we used your conversion to! Thanks for that!) works fine because you know more about some details on the DF board? We still have problems: first the motormount problem which was solved by my friend Bernd (he wrote about that in this forum) now we have trouble with one of our boards again (arming!) and again the TI is a very sensitive thing.
    Maybe the english part forum and wiki of the MK is not that clear. But there is one big difference; If you run in a problem there is help also from the developper! Also help in details about parameters for different parts on the board. With the SerCon Interface you have access to all parameter a.s.o They have schematics, its open source and they made in one year more progress in new implementations than DF.
    What about extensions for the DF? The conversion is a good thing, and if you try to fly a SAVs with the original setup like we got it, with 1300 mA lipo and brush motors: be shure to react more than early if you come in a downwash!
    I don't talk about Compass, GPS, altitude control and some other things like bluetooth interface. I don`t know who tells you that people give up to build there MK, I only can read (in german) about successful projects. The community around that MK is very active and you see daily updated threads.
    If we had the luck of flying our DFs for some days without trouble, we liked it (brushless) but the thead asked for professional plattform.I'm sorry but if you not get a stable system what you will tell your customer: sorry our DF is sick today? we have problems with the board, the arming, the Rx the TI: The customer don't care about that!
    my two cents!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ebrio,

We have progressed well beyond the original SAVS DF and anything currently offered by RCtoys. The new brushless PWB offered by Dammer can be used with outrunner motors and a new frame for a new solution:

I say again, please show me a mikrokopter that cost $500 that can take video and stills like my KQuad which uses Dammer's latest brushless PWB:

Kquad Video Platform

To be truthful, all the quad copter designs have their good and bad points. None of the units I've seen under $10,000 are good enough to be in the professional class. But progress is being made. For example, I plan to be flying High Def 1080p video next year using the KQuad design. It can easily lift the 1lb payload required and still have more than 100% reserve power to come down safely. And again, the total cost of the quad is only $500. The only person I know that has built a German quad that comes close to that price and performance is Rusty (I3BRV3). And he is using different Motors and ESCs than anyone else that has build German quads.

Mike

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Dear Mike,
    ok, I don't want to speak bad about the DF at all. I only can report our individual storry and I did that in my previous postings. That mean IF the DF plattform is doing well it is a big fun! You made a big step foreward with your conversion project: Thanks again for that. Maybe as we stay in Thailand the temperature and humidity is not convinient for the DF. We don't know. Maybe two replacement boards from Mike Damar not worked here because of some USA security airport scanners. We pleased Mike Damar to send two replacement boards over Canada and they worked here! Voodoo!
    Maybe the old RX with brush motors produced that 0.8 sec motor drop outs? Maybe the old RX was not stable. We checked for that a lot. Maybe to much dust for the arming knob. Maybe the TI not like to much clouds. We trained a lot with indoor flying with no TI. We flight with SIM, we spend houres with maintainance we get very serious with setup the system. We take care for the flight time, if you run out of lipo power you have seconds to land the DF secure. I'm not that patient like my friend Bernd. I want to use a system and it's realy a complex system (not open source) to fly and my company spends money for areal movie flying! From that point of view i have to tell my boss: sorry it does not work propperly now but maybe!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: jesolins

Good question...What do you consider conventional?... Extension poles and cables have their purpose...Blimps are better indoors where there are people...scale airplanes can't easily frame a shot, but work well taking terrain feature video over a longer flight path...heli's that lift the same weight as a Q-Copter are heavier and have more lethal blades are noisier and cost more to repair, but they can probably do about the same job in the same wind conditions. I think we might have to do a fly off to see whether the heli or Q-Copter is a more stable platform in wind and how much it can take with a cam on-board.
    Yes, all good points. As a matter of fact the people that I know who are making the most money ($1500 - $3000 per shot) have gone to the extendable masts. I purchased the "Beasts" in the off-topics thread from one such person.

I would argue that it is all about one thing: "What is your mission?" I found the DF an extremely useful tool for close-quarter surveillance type work, but weak in other areas. I started off with the DF because I felt it to be small, light, easily deployed, and safe around people and property, all of which were true. However, those same features became shortcomings as the demands of the mission increased. Couldn't fly in any kind of wind. Couldn't lift a heavy sensor package. Orientation problems at high altitude.

As far as "lethality", that's a bit of a red herring, and mostly based on fear of the unknown. The larger helis don't need to get in close to get the job done. I was very concerned about this at first too, but have found it to be a non-issue. In terms of cost, almost any conventional (e.g. single rotor) helicopter is a far better bang for the buck, if not outright cheaper from the get-go.

So I guess my point is, I can't see anything that a quad can do better, when it comes to being a real work-horse. The one major exception is surveillance, where devices like the MicroDrone excel in the urban environment.

Cheers,
    Bruce

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Bruce,
    Well now you've convinced me to start building a 300ft. mast!.... Wow good income at $1500-3000 per shot!!![:-] If I had the $20K for a MicroDrone, well I'd probably own a real heli too It is definitely all about the mission you are up against as you say...and also how deep your wife lets you dig into your pockets for this stuff
    Cheers,
    Jim
    Yes, all good points. As a matter of fact the people that I know who are making the most money ($1500 - $3000 per shot) have gone to the extendable masts. I purchased the "Beasts" in the off-topics thread from one such person.

I would argue that it is all about one thing: "What is your mission?" I found the DF an extremely useful tool for close-quarter surveillance type work, but weak in other areas. I started off with the DF because I felt it to be small, light, easily deployed, and safe around people and property, all of which were true. However, those same features became shortcomings as the demands of the mission increased. Couldn't fly in any kind of wind. Couldn't lift a heavy sensor package. Orientation problems at high altitude.

As far as "lethality", that's a bit of a red herring, and mostly based on fear of the unknown. The larger helis don't need to get in close to get the job done. I was very concerned about this at first too, but have found it to be a non-issue. In terms of cost, almost any conventional (e.g. single rotor) helicopter is a far better bang for the buck, if not outright cheaper from the get-go.

So I guess my point is, I can't see anything that a quad can do better, when it comes to being a real work-horse. The one major exception is surveillance, where devices like the MicroDrone excel in the urban environment.

Cheers,
    Bruce

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm playing a bit of the devil's advocate here. If you had all the money in the world, probably the MicroDrone quad would be da bomb for any kind of AP you could want to do. The DF is an excellent learning device, and can be used as a springboard to other missions. The disadvantages I expected to hear for the single-rotor helis are: mechanical complexity, tailorotor failures, requires camera self-leveling to compensate for hover tilt, maintenance for multiple wear points, complex setup at both transmitter and rotor head, etc., etc. I've successfully flown the DF more than any other heli, and I can say it's truly unique. It can be popped out of its case, calibrated and in the air in less than 2 minutes. There are many, many conventional designs, and only a few quads, so I can see why they have such an adament following. Or maybe I'm just a glutton for punishment.

Ciao,
    Bruce

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Bruce,
    Lively discussion is always welcome There are positives and negatives to any path, so if we had the $$ and flying skills, we would get at least one of each
    Here is a link showing Mikrokopter stability in the wind. They strapped on weight to help It shows/compares a MicroDrone's performance in the same wind conditions and does very well.
    Here: http://www.mikrokopter.de/ucwiki/VideoAbspielen?id=48
    The pilot in the video was fearful because his TX battery was giving him the low battery warning the whole time
    Cheers,
    Jim

I'm playing a bit of the devil's advocate here. If you had all the money in the world, probably the MicroDrone quad would be da bomb for any kind of AP you could want to do. The DF is an excellent learning device, and can be used as a springboard to other missions. The disadvantages I expected to hear for the single-rotor helis are: mechanical complexity, tailorotor failures, requires camera self-leveling to compensate for hover tilt, maintenance for multiple wear points, complex setup at both transmitter and rotor head, etc., etc. I've successfully flown the DF more than any other heli, and I can say it's truly unique. It can be popped out of its case, calibrated and in the air in less than 2 minutes. There are many, many conventional designs, and only a few quads, so I can see why they have such an adament following. Or maybe I'm just a glutton for punishment.

Ciao,
    Bruce

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Maybe the BL motors are what make all the difference. Don't you love those E.U. transmitters? BTW the guy in the video looks exactly like my brother, who happens to be flying the Bell 412 pictured in my avatar. He just went to work for Blackwater - I told him he picked a great time to go to work for those guys! Guess he'll be crying all the way to the bank.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Bruce,
    In the case of the DF the BL motors make it a whole new animal. ...OOPs too late, looks like you already sold yours: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=6728853
    May God Bless and keep your Brother. I do know what he is up against... Been there, done that...
    Cheers,
    Jim

Maybe the BL motors are what make all the difference. Don't you love those E.U. transmitters? BTW the guy in the video looks exactly like my brother, who happens to be flying the Bell 412 pictured in my avatar. He just went to work for Blackwater - I told him he picked a great time to go to work for those guys! Guess he'll be crying all the way to the bank.