Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Draganfly Innovations Products
Reload this Page >

I don't know what else to do

Community
Search
Notices
Draganfly Innovations Products Discuss all the Draganfly Innovations Products in this forum

I don't know what else to do

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 08:07 PM
AVILLC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I don't know what else to do

Well, it's been an interesting journey with the DF unfortunately not a productive one. Today was one of the nicest days outside to give the DF a try after accumulating over 40 hours on the flt sim. I headed out to a parking lot outside of our city's minor league baseball stadium, it's about 200yds x 150yds and there were no other cars there. It was the closest to my house for the daylight I had left. I have checked every fastener,joiint, and screw and nothing was loose or out of place. I was ready!

It was a clear day so I put the Ti on - enabled the switch on the Tx and then turned on the DF while in my hand facing out, front facing to thesky, then I armed it, put it on the pavement and then put the left stick down to the right, I saw the green lights flash alternating. I brought the motors up and as soon as I get to about 1/3 throttle it started to shake violently. O.K. well, so much for Ti. I turned everything off and went to Ti off and tried to fly it manually, it did not shake but still oscillated a bit. I believe I trimmed it out the best I could. I brought up the throttle to get it a few feet of the ground and as soon as I had it about 6 feet up it went inverted and crashed right to the ground.

That's right SEVERE DAMAGE to the main board. Bent the top board where the Ti and the red LED light is and now the DF is INOP.

In my own opinion, I don't think the Flight Sim is much like flying the DF for real at all. I think I am going to start from scratch with a conventional Heli and go from there. I think I am at the end of my rope with the DF. So, with that being said, anyone in the market for a slightly used DF V SAVS, 6 batteries, 2 chargers, 1 car (cig lghtr) charger?

Hardly flown and only crashed once!

Anyone intersted can e-mail me at [email protected]

Regretfully,

Jerry Howell

regretfull
Old 12-29-2007, 06:55 AM
geoffbrown

Default RE: I don't know what else to do

Sorry to hear about that. It sounds like you are
not interested in keeping it, but if you do, you can
have the board fixed for $55 from Spectrolutions.

Also, if you do get it going again;

1. Start by flying in a grassy area (Pavement can destroy a DF in a crash from modest heights)
2. Don't arm the TI over pavement. Arm it over grass. (It says this in the instruction manual)

Good luck, hope you stick with it. It is really a lot of fun to fly once
you get the hang of it especially when TI is working good.
Old 12-29-2007, 03:59 PM
Old Man Mike

Sorry to hear this. I am curious if you had tried the tied down approach. A sudden flip sounds like one of the motors stopped or a gear/bearing problem. This should have shown up during a tied down "burn in".

Mike
Old 12-29-2007, 04:45 PM
AVILLC

No I did not try the tie down. Looks like I should have. I see now that there are so many different things to troubleshoot with. Thanks Geoff to the reference to Spectrolutions, I will be sending my board there for sure if it only will cost me 55 bucks to have it repaired. I visited the site, seems pretty nice. I just don't have the kind of money to go out and buy a NEW board everytime I have a mishap like that. But never the less, I will definately try the tie down method if I still incur the oscillation problem.

Thank you guys for all your support. I don't think DFI would be able to do much better than they are now with out the forum support here. I think I still will learn how to fly conventional heli's though.

Jerry
Old 12-29-2007, 10:12 PM
Old Man Mike

As you have seen, the plastic canopy really offers almost no protection during a crash. Solutions are shown here:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5784708/tm.htm

The one I made in that thread has protected the PWBs from any damage even when crashing from over 100 feet. Usually the only thing that will be damaged is the plastic legs and/or a motor mount.

Mike