Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Draganfly Innovations Products
Reload this Page >

How difficult is it to fly a Draganflyer?

Community
Search
Notices
Draganfly Innovations Products Discuss all the Draganfly Innovations Products in this forum

How difficult is it to fly a Draganflyer?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 10:52 AM
SmokyTyrz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How difficult is it to fly a Draganflyer?

Hi folks

I've searched a bit on the first-time experiences of Draganflyer owners. I'm currently considering a used VTI (new condition, nothing broken) to add to my helicopter stable.

I have a TRex450 w/ a GY401 tail gyro, and another 450 with a HC3D. I am new heli's but can hover nose-in, out, and side, and I can do slow forward flight with and without the Helicommand.

What is the VTI like to fly? Is it as difficult as a regular heli? The posts I read suggest that folks are training up on simulators, and slowly easing into flight with their first Draganflyer. But the videos, etc all talk about how stable, controlled, and easy to fly the VTI and all Draganflyer products are.

So what is the experience level? I'm after something that is easier to fly than my helis for aerial photo, FPV, and generally just bobbing about. Will this about the same experience as my heli equipped with the Helicommand 3D? Is it more involved? Less involved?

Eg., on the one hand I see videos and posts about learning experiences, and I see it flying quite a lot like a regular heli (bobbing, drifting, etc). Then I see a video where the guy smashes the transmitter and the thing is rock steady about 50 ft up. So which is it?

Thanks in advance.

PS: I noticed the VTI uses a thermal stabilized gyro.. does this have the same limitations as other thermal gyros which "see" the sky and the ground? Eg if temp varies a lot on the ground (going from pavement to grass) will the VTI become unstable?

Old 04-30-2009, 01:07 PM
CostaRica1

Default RE: How difficult is it to fly a Draganflyer?

It's like a big coaxial heli, I mean you can fly the thing outdoor as you fly a coaxial heli indoors, easy....but besides look cool I think it's very overpriced, believe me...I owned two and spent more time sending the electronic board to spectrolutions and replacing motors than flying.
Old 09-27-2009, 01:05 PM
techrtr

Very easy to fly, as long as the stabilization stuff is working properly. After I learned to fly the Draganflyer, I bought a Blade CP Pro and found it to be a real ******* to fly compared to the Draganflyer. Progressed to the T-Rex 450 and a 50 size nitro. When I went back to flying the Draganflyer after learning to fly a 3-D heli pretty well, it was just a piece of cake. Unfortunately, I ended up smashing the Draganflyer up and never bothered to get it fixed again because it seemed to have a bunch of glitches with the circuit board. When one of those things develops an electronic problem in flight, not much you can do to save it, unlike a big heli that you can autogyro down if you lose power. Draganflyers are a ton of fun to fly, and I felt safe flying one in a park with people around (unlike a single rotor heli like a T-Rex), but I think they are pretty expensive for what you get. If they cost $350, I would consider another one. Don't like the idea that if the circuit board does down, you can't just swap out a receiver or servo and you're flying again.
Old 10-18-2009, 01:54 PM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (9)

hi,i m new to draganfly and need help,i got a Draganfly IV bought used...heard about it's very stable and easy to fly but mine is not,it bangged side to side and nose drifted to right then to left...i hover my trex250 is much easier than this 1,any reasons could be the cause please advice,thks for your time.