Go Back  RCU Forums > Aircraft - electric – Multi-rotors (Drones) > Drones Talk
Reload this Page >

There is some real Idiots out there that will wreck our hobby

Drones Talk This forum is for Multi-Rotor pilots and enthusiasts to talk about subjects that don’t quite fit into any other forum.

There is some real Idiots out there that will wreck our hobby

Old 03-14-2015, 01:04 AM
kenworthbob

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default There is some real Idiots out there that will wreck our hobby

Hi fellow Rc'ers. I was visiting in Harlingen Texas this last month trying to avoid the bad wheather at home in Minnesota. I was driving in town, stopped at a traffic light, the light changed and as I made a left hand turn, there was people in the street in my way, and a quadcopter with a camera under it at about 6 feet altitude in the middle of the lane I had entered. It scared the hello out of me. Was not expecting to see that!. I dodged the copter and the people, (they were the support crew). I drove a few blocks, gathered my thoughts, realized what they were doing. They were in front of a car dealership, takeing pictures of the car lot for a commercial. Wow! I was ticked. I turned around and went back, got out and gave the so called pilot a piece of my mind. Not only was he obstructing traffic, that dealership was in the landing traffic pattern for an in use runway at Harlingen Valley International Airport. Less than 2 miles from the runway. Wow!!! The car salesman said " we have the right to make a commercial ". I wonder how many laws were broken doing it? Could you imagine that quadcopter and camera getting a little to high and be swallowed by a Airbus! I called the police but they dont move too fast down here. Some people are brain dead. It took awhile for my blood pressure to get back to normal. I got tired of waiting for the cops and left. Hindsight 20/20, I should have called the Airport control tower. You can't fix stupid.
Old 03-14-2015, 02:28 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That's the problem. Anybody can buy a quad-copter/multi-rotor BUT nobody can buy common sense. Also the "all about me" mentality comes into play as well. Hooray for me and to h*ll with everyone else!
Old 03-14-2015, 03:38 AM
RickC2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda View Post
That's the problem. Anybody can buy a quad-copter/multi-rotor BUT nobody can buy common sense. Also the "all about me" mentality comes into play as well. Hooray for me and to h*ll with everyone else!
Got to agree with you. I tell people who ask me about quads vs helicopters and I tell them, "any idiot with enough bucks in his pocket can purchase a RTF quad, attach a GOPRO and get great video and the only limiting factor is how fast you can charge the battery when you get it home. You will have to learn how to fly a collective pitch helicopter and that will take time".

I believe that is where the problem is. By the act of learning to fly a helicopter you learn the consequence of your mistakes and misjudgements. I tell people that you earn the ability to fly helicopers all you have to do for quads is earn the money.

It pains me to hear people brag how high they got their quad on the first day they get it and then say they had to use the return to home function because they couldn't tell what it was doing!

I don't know why I wonder about a culture that thinks it's possible to Idiot proof a car! "It checks its own tire pressure, has a rear view camera so you don't have to turn around and look and will even put the brakes on for you if you are distracted while texting"!!!

Geez!!!!
Old 12-23-2015, 03:26 AM
kenworthbob

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well that didnt take long to happen! FAA is already on our butts. All it takes is a few dummies to screw it up for us all. Once uncle sam gets its nose in our business, it will stay there and only get worse with time. Any one want to leave the US?. Less and less freedom every day. �� It makes me realy sad.