Drones Talk This forum is for Multi-Rotor pilots and enthusiasts to talk about subjects that don’t quite fit into any other forum.

Ridiculous new restrictions in Canada

Old 04-09-2017, 12:35 PM
fly_boy_bc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Ridiculous new restrictions in Canada

PLEASE add your voice (even if you are not Canadian) to this petition fighting the Ridiculous new restrictions against multi-rotors in Canada. ZERO consultation before enactment!

https://www.change.org/p/marc-garnea...8ej11ESuwsV0O7
Old 04-09-2017, 01:12 PM
Propworn

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Nope I am Canadian and I don't see a problem with the rules governing the hobby community. The commercial sector is well regulated and if you venture down that road you should know your responsibilities. If on the other hand you fly as a hobbyist you should know what rules apply to you and follow them. If you are part of the national organization (MAAC) nothing has changed if you are flying at a registered MAAC field. The rules are meant to get control of the cowboys who think they have a right to do what ever they want. I personally have no sympathy for what they have brought on themselves.

For those flying responsibly and not flying at MAAC fields I am sorry about your luck but blame those who have screwed it up for you. I have been in this hobby for over 40 years and have never had a single incident or problem when flying from non registered fields. We have even been welcome to put on demonstrations for clubs, communities, cubs, scouts etc in the past. Not so now. Even with an insurance certificate showing 7.5 million in personal liability there is trepidation when assuring the parties to be that we are fully insured and so is the community or organizing body. We never had any of these problems until the recent proliferation of so called drones/easy to fly RC of all kinds and the crappy attitude of a select few who selfishly consider only themselves.

Dennis
Old 04-09-2017, 03:12 PM
Propworn

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Even MAAC members who choose to fly from non registered fields have to follow Transport Canada Rules.

"You have 2 choices now, decision time >
Fly at the field and not register the field as a MAAC club, you will then have to fly according to the new TC regs.
Fly at the field and register it as a MAAC club and follow the MAAC rules, you are now exempt from all the TC regs."

Non MAAC members are expected to fly under Transport Canada Rules period. Join MAAC and fly under the organizations rules or form your own organization then convince Transport Canada your organization is worthy of an exemption. Compared to the general population in Canada that are demanding something be done to control i
rresponsible flyers the number of petition signatures wont mean squat.

Dennis
Old 04-10-2017, 06:52 AM
aspeed

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I wasn't aware of the MAAC club rules negating the Transport Canada rules. I was wondering how we could even take off at a field anywhere with 250 ft. between any person and a plane. Kind of makes a hand launch impossible, and even taking off a plane before running 250 ft. away. As soon as someone would start up a model, then everyone would need to clear the parking lots at most flying fields. Even away from a club field though, I don't like the rule of 250 ft, I think it is pretty much impossible to legally take a picture of your own house with a drone unless you have a pretty large lot. The real estate guys are now running illegally unless there is a professional doing it for them. Or is that illegal too?
Old 04-10-2017, 08:53 AM
Propworn

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspeed View Post
I wasn't aware of the MAAC club rules negating the Transport Canada rules.
Does not negate anything but allows MAAC members flying at MAAC fields to fly as they always have done. This exemption is a direct reflection of MAAC members safety record of years past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspeed View Post
II was wondering how we could even take off at a field anywhere with 250 ft. between any person and a plane. Kind of makes a hand launch impossible, and even taking off a plane before running 250 ft. away. As soon as someone would start up a model, then everyone would need to clear the parking lots at most flying fields. Even away from a club field though, I don't like the rule of 250 ft, I think it is pretty much impossible to legally take a picture of your own house with a drone unless you have a pretty large lot. The real estate guys are now running illegally unless there is a professional doing it for them. Or is that illegal too?
Best to get direct information from your Zone Director "Frank Klenk" and the real estate guys have been operating illegally since day one. As a commercial venture it has nothing to do with MAAC and concerns me even less. Once a few get dinged they might smarten up.

Dennis
Old 04-10-2017, 10:10 AM
aspeed

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Jeez, I was just talking to him Saturday.

Search this Thread