RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Drones Talk (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/drones-talk-539/)
-   -   Ridiculous new restrictions in Canada (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/drones-talk-539/11638060-ridiculous-new-restrictions-canada.html)

fly_boy_bc 04-09-2017 12:35 PM

Ridiculous new restrictions in Canada

PLEASE add your voice (even if you are not Canadian) to this petition fighting the Ridiculous new restrictions against multi-rotors in Canada. ZERO consultation before enactment!

https://www.change.org/p/marc-garnea...8ej11ESuwsV0O7

Propworn 04-09-2017 01:12 PM

Nope I am Canadian and I don't see a problem with the rules governing the hobby community. The commercial sector is well regulated and if you venture down that road you should know your responsibilities. If on the other hand you fly as a hobbyist you should know what rules apply to you and follow them. If you are part of the national organization (MAAC) nothing has changed if you are flying at a registered MAAC field. The rules are meant to get control of the cowboys who think they have a right to do what ever they want. I personally have no sympathy for what they have brought on themselves.

For those flying responsibly and not flying at MAAC fields I am sorry about your luck but blame those who have screwed it up for you. I have been in this hobby for over 40 years and have never had a single incident or problem when flying from non registered fields. We have even been welcome to put on demonstrations for clubs, communities, cubs, scouts etc in the past. Not so now. Even with an insurance certificate showing 7.5 million in personal liability there is trepidation when assuring the parties to be that we are fully insured and so is the community or organizing body. We never had any of these problems until the recent proliferation of so called drones/easy to fly RC of all kinds and the crappy attitude of a select few who selfishly consider only themselves.

Dennis

Propworn 04-09-2017 03:12 PM

Even MAAC members who choose to fly from non registered fields have to follow Transport Canada Rules.

"You have 2 choices now, decision time >
Fly at the field and not register the field as a MAAC club, you will then have to fly according to the new TC regs.
Fly at the field and register it as a MAAC club and follow the MAAC rules, you are now exempt from all the TC regs."

Non MAAC members are expected to fly under Transport Canada Rules period. Join MAAC and fly under the organizations rules or form your own organization then convince Transport Canada your organization is worthy of an exemption. Compared to the general population in Canada that are demanding something be done to control i
rresponsible flyers the number of petition signatures wont mean squat.

Dennis

aspeed 04-10-2017 06:52 AM

I wasn't aware of the MAAC club rules negating the Transport Canada rules. I was wondering how we could even take off at a field anywhere with 250 ft. between any person and a plane. Kind of makes a hand launch impossible, and even taking off a plane before running 250 ft. away. As soon as someone would start up a model, then everyone would need to clear the parking lots at most flying fields. Even away from a club field though, I don't like the rule of 250 ft, I think it is pretty much impossible to legally take a picture of your own house with a drone unless you have a pretty large lot. The real estate guys are now running illegally unless there is a professional doing it for them. Or is that illegal too?

Propworn 04-10-2017 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by aspeed (Post 12325215)
I wasn't aware of the MAAC club rules negating the Transport Canada rules.

Does not negate anything but allows MAAC members flying at MAAC fields to fly as they always have done. This exemption is a direct reflection of MAAC members safety record of years past.

Originally Posted by aspeed (Post 12325215)
II was wondering how we could even take off at a field anywhere with 250 ft. between any person and a plane. Kind of makes a hand launch impossible, and even taking off a plane before running 250 ft. away. As soon as someone would start up a model, then everyone would need to clear the parking lots at most flying fields. Even away from a club field though, I don't like the rule of 250 ft, I think it is pretty much impossible to legally take a picture of your own house with a drone unless you have a pretty large lot. The real estate guys are now running illegally unless there is a professional doing it for them. Or is that illegal too?

Best to get direct information from your Zone Director "Frank Klenk" and the real estate guys have been operating illegally since day one. As a commercial venture it has nothing to do with MAAC and concerns me even less. Once a few get dinged they might smarten up.

Dennis

aspeed 04-10-2017 10:10 AM

Jeez, I was just talking to him Saturday.

expresscraft 10-04-2017 10:10 AM

More government...more rules, all part of the game, Really what is wrong with accountability for all? Compared to the people flying and that have flown all types of models, the numbers of bad things happening is a fraction of a fraction of a percent.

aspeed 10-04-2017 11:27 AM

Our local club real estate agent went for the training and license. $1,000 and some more every year just because. I think all the rules are there in case there is an accident or complaint, then they can get some money. I find it hard to believe that a seadoo can wizz by my backyard on the lake, and I can't fly my floatplane.

Propworn 10-04-2017 01:50 PM

As always you have to use common sense. No one around taxi out far enough and have your flight staying the distance from others. If the waters busy with other boats and people do you really want to fly over head or near them. It’s like at the local park. A few of us fly our indoor foamies in the evening when there is no wind as long as others are not using the park. Walk in far enough we are well away from any road and we fly close in and low. Spectators invariably show up and if they are willing to stand behind us we will gladly put a flight or two on and show them what flying is about. If the crowd gets too big or there is a chance of lack of control we simply stop flying. We can still show them the equipment and how it works and usually the next time they approach they come and stand behind us where it’s safe for them to watch.

Use your head and common sense which there seems to be so little of lately and I doubt anyone would object. You just have to realize you may not be covered by MAAC and you may be asked to stop flying in that spot.

I just returned from vacation. I had a trailer load of models including float planes. Because it was September I was able to fly from several nice beaches even one in a Provincial Park. Why because there was absolutely no one there to object and nothing for me to endanger. We camped beside a remote lumber road where it had been harvested a few years ago. No one around for miles and I flew my little Kunai glider over the clearing landing on the dirt road we were camping on.

Unless you are doing something dangerous or unsafe you will be asked politely to stop. So you stop and pack up without any attitude and that will be the end of it. Give attitude you most likely will get some right back.

Dennis

expresscraft 10-05-2017 05:41 AM

No matter what is said it is very hard to argue with the safety record of models That is all models, NAR million dollar policy for model rockets, boy scouts get badges for them, schools use them, since the early 60's not 1 claim against there policy, you do not buy the National association of rocketry policy, you get it with every package of motors you buy, not one claim, Model boating and aircraft very few claims for the millions that use them, So to represent model use with what could happen is very wrong in it self, You are in the most danger driving to the location you want to use your model, So if you want to be a advocate for safety Ban the unnecessary use of a vehicle to do anything that is not necessary. Pretty stupid....RIGHT? Well so is bringing up what could happen as apposed to the joy modeling brings and the amount of people get away in there world of modeling instead of drinking and drugs ect. No matter what you do you always need common sense.

Propworn 10-05-2017 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by expresscraft (Post 12373106)
No matter what is said it is very hard to argue with the safety record of models That is all models, NAR million dollar policy for model rockets, boy scouts get badges for them, schools use them, since the early 60's not 1 claim against there policy, you do not buy the National association of rocketry policy, you get it with every package of motors you buy, not one claim, Model boating and aircraft very few claims for the millions that use them, So to represent model use with what could happen is very wrong in it self, You are in the most danger driving to the location you want to use your model, So if you want to be a advocate for safety Ban the unnecessary use of a vehicle to do anything that is not necessary. Pretty stupid....RIGHT? Well so is bringing up what could happen as apposed to the joy modeling brings and the amount of people get away in there world of modeling instead of drinking and drugs ect. No matter what you do you always need common sense.

????????????????? What the #^*% Someone get him some fresh air quick.

expresscraft 10-05-2017 01:42 PM

old farts always worry about what could happen instead of living and enjoying life. Overall models are safe