Community
Search
Notices
Dub Jett Engines Support Bob Brassel of Dub Jett Engines provides direct support here for Jett Engines.

Engine choice for EU1A

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 11:56 PM
MaxMotoring

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine choice for EU1A

Bob,

I am going to build a EU1A and would welcome your advice on the engine choice. Either the .90L or .90LX . It will be rear exhaust with a pipe. Noise ( unfortunately is an issue at our field ) but it appears Macs have some quiet pipes which should help. I'm not afer outright speed but an engine which will give good aerobatic performance. Thanks in advance for your advice. PS I have just bought a .90L from you guys which is going on a scratch built Tiger Tail 4.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:51 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Default RE: Engine choice for EU1A

Hey there....

Thanks for writing..

Well since sound is indeed an issue - FIRE 90L will be your best bet. I recommend having Dub configure and tune the pipe too. You will need to be specific on the header since you need a slightly "up" canted header, not just a riser header, as I recall (last EU1-A I built was a long time ago..)

A LARGE quantity of the noise we observe from our aircraft comes from the prop. The exhaust/pipe/muffler is only part of the battle.

Mac's quiet pipe, have him set it up with an 12x9 prop - this is a long pipe setup. The advantage of the full pipe is you can tune for the RPM target and prop you need.

Tuned for the 12x9 - you will have pleanty of room to play with various props. Should put it in the 12,000, 12,500 peak rpm range.

One of the challenges with the EU1-A is the pipe tunnel size, and another is the prop ground clearance. The plane was designed for 11" props, and fairly short pipe layout. So plan ahead when you lay out the pipe tunnel. You will want a few different props to work with from 11x9, 11x10, 12x8, 12x9 find one that gets you the balance of sound and performance.

I'd love to see the TigerTail when you have it completed - send photos

Bob
Old 04-21-2012, 08:57 PM
MaxMotoring

Default RE: Engine choice for EU1A

Bob, thanks for detailed reply. I have just received the .90L and it is a very nice piece of engineering/manufacturing. What do you think about using the .90 L or LX (RE versions ) with the tuned muffler that Jett supplies rather than a pipe ? I don't want to compromise too much on the model in that I want it to perform as intended and if I have to I can use another field where noise isn't such an issue. I appreciate yor timely response as well.
As for the Tiger Tail I'll certainly send some pics when all is done. This could be some time as I'm still awaiting the plans from the AMA. Good of them to retain all this stuff so that the older designs can still be made.