Community
Search
Notices
Dub Jett Engines Support Bob Brassel of Dub Jett Engines provides direct support here for Jett Engines.

Would SportJett .46 Be Good for This....?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 07:12 PM
Deandome
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would SportJett .46 Be Good for This....?

I'm a newbie, but one who's looking to get a plane, radio & motor that will be fun well beyond my 'training period'...be it on my current plane (Goldberg Sr. Falcon) or a more acrobatic one down the line.

I was thinking an OS 55ax would be my best option, and it still might be (I have a line on a barely-broken-in one at a great price). But if that deal falls thru, I see that the SportJett .46 is on clearance now for $250. So the question is...forgetting price...would the Jett function well on my Sr. Falcon, as I train and then start to learn aerobatics?

Or is it more of a high-revving racing engine that's not well suited for this purpose...you know, like putting a custom modded/ported Novarossi .21 buggy engine on a T-Maxx (for those who get that analogy)? One of the things I'm worried about/wondering about is the prop size; people are telling me to run an 11x8 w/the OS 55, but the Jett is best suited for a 9" or 10" prop

Please be honest....I don't have any problem hearing that the Jett wouldn't be the best option, but if you think it would work well for training & sport flying, let me know.

Thanks!
Old 02-23-2012, 04:21 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Default RE: Would SportJett .46 Be Good for This....?

Thanks for writing...

Short answer is certainly the SJ46 will work great in the Sr Falcon. Quite honestly it is one of the best sport engines ever designed. Very versitile. [&:]

Jett engines are powerful and some are designed for speed applications, but the Sport Jetts are very user friend sport engines. Great idle and transition, easy to start.

On the SJ-46, prop it with anything from a 9x7, 10x6, or 11x5 and it will run great. Important to follow the run-in instructions (on a test bench, not the airplane). And it is important to make sure your fuel system is good reduce any fuel foam risk.

On the Sr Falcon, get the engine some time with a 10x6, and then try the 11x5. That would give you the best balanced performance.

Having said that.... the OS55 is a darn good engine. In fact the OS55 combined with a Jett Stream muffler will give you amazing performance quite a few of those flying out there. Bolts right on, no hassles. Great power, and props like 10x8, 11x6, 11x7 are good choices. In fact for some of the classic pattern and vintage pattern events this has become the weapon of choice.

I trust this is helpful

Bob
Old 03-23-2012, 04:44 PM
14Glen

Hello BoB,
I am looking at the Hanger 9's Sundowner 36, I have one of your SS40. would this be a good combo?
Thanks, Glen South Mississippi
Old 03-27-2012, 06:15 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Hi Glenn,

Sorry for the delay..

You can use the SS40 in the small sundowner.

However, take some time to really look at the installation.

The 40-56 size engines and muffler installation in the larger Sundowner works out great and can be kept internal.

On the smaller 36 version I have not attempted that with the .40-.56 size engines. It may be a tight fit. If you have to mess with the muffler installation a great deal - or need an extension probably not work as well as you might think.

Again, take the time to plan out an installation will it fit, and can you modify the airframe to accomodate the jett-stream muffler properly ? If so, then sure, you would be ok with the SS40.

Old 03-27-2012, 06:29 AM
14Glen

Bob,
Thanks, I still need to get a bubbless tank too. So I be ordering soon. Thanks again. Glen