Community
Search
Notices
Dub Jett Engines Support Bob Brassel of Dub Jett Engines provides direct support here for Jett Engines.

Pitts Style Muffler

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2002, 04:32 PM
DIsaacks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pitts Style Muffler

I am looking for a "Pitts" style muffler for a Jett Sport .50. Do you have any suggestions?
Old 07-18-2002, 07:15 PM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pitts Style Muffler

Hi, thanks for writing.

Our primary recommendation is our own Turbo-Jett muffler. The compact in-cowl design, provides the best performance with a SJ-50. The SJ-50 is a fairly high-timed engine, and although performance with the in-cowl design (RPM) is slightly lower than when using the standard Jett-Stream muffler, it does gains a significant performance boost with the Turbo-Jett.

http://www.jettengineering.com/accy/turbo.html

You can find dimensions for each size on the web page.

I have a SJ-46 with a turbo-jett running in my VQ P-51 Mustang, and the installation was a near perfect fit within the cowling. There are photos of a P-47, AT-6, and GeeBee on the Hall of Fame page
http://www.jettengineering.com/hall/index.html
and also of a Zero on the turbo page which use the Turbo-SJ50 combination.

In aerobatic type aircraft, you may have to relieve the cowl a bit to allow clearance for part of the muffler.

As for other options, the Bisson mufflers seem to work fairly well in some applications, but there is a performance loss. It is important that the engine have adequate back pressure, and you still must prop it to run in the specified RPM range.

I hope this has been helpful.

Bob Brassell