Community
Search
Notices
Dub Jett Engines Support Bob Brassel of Dub Jett Engines provides direct support here for Jett Engines.

4 star 40 race

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 08:18 PM
speedracer2284
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 star 40 race

Hey BOB, I'm trying to do some homework now and figure out what I need. I have a 4 star 40 race coming up in a few months and need some advice on how to kick some rear-end? it must be a .46 size 2 stroke or less and we must run the same fuel, coolpower 15% or byrons 15%. I've been looking at the engines on your website and I'm thoroughly impressed. what would be the fastest setup?? what engine and what prop size, and what's the best tuned pipes for your engines. COST IS NOT AN ISSUE!! Thanks Coleman
Old 08-13-2007, 11:52 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: 4 star 40 race

Coleman:

Sounds to me that you need to loose one panel on each side of the wing and find yourself a engine turner real quick. I dont know one myself, except know of Clarance Lee like everyone else. Believe he can still be engaged to do hop up work. Do race against one of his engines in our club, and it was tough to beat for the first season, but its a 48 screamer. Wish I could help, but sadly no. I use the Jett Stream tuned muffler, not the pipe style just for simplicity. Are quite good, should get another 1,000 to 1600 rpms from one depending on how you prop them. Good luck. Roger
Old 08-14-2007, 08:33 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Default RE: 4 star 40 race

Hi Coleman....

I will assume for a moment you have to build a box-stock 4-star (no clipped wings)

Jett SJ-46 engine is what you are looking for

Break in on the test stand with a 9x6 (per instructions). I'd suggest using castor/syth blend fuel for this (byrons ?)

Use the standard Jett Stream muffler (skip the full pipe, more drag created than power increased to over come it)
APC 9x7, 9x8, 10x6 or 10x7 --------
If it is a stock 4-star, it will take some experimenting

perhaps try the SS muffler option (higher rpm)
Run an APC 9x7 prop - standard blade.
Note = this muffler setup requires prop selection so the engine turns 17,500 ground peak rpm MINIMUM

For the race, use the coolpower 15% (or Omega 15% if they will let you).

So what is the trade ?
The standard muffler and bigger prop will get the plane off and down to the first pylon quicker.... and will exit the turns quicker.
This will work better if you tend to fly -- well --- not quite a straight line and round turns.

The SS muffler and 9x7 will be likely be faster in level flight, but will bleed energy in the turns - fly smooth.

Much more important than a really honkin engine ----- practice flying the race course!
Every time you touch the controls - ailerons, elevator.... what ever..... it is like slamming on the brakes.
Smoooth.....

Worth noting..... there is a few week lead time on the engines.
If you need one soon, I would suggest calling or emailing Dub very soon to inquire about delivery date.

Bob