Notices
Dub Jett Engines Support Bob Brassel of Dub Jett Engines provides direct support here for Jett Engines.

Jett 50BSE with in cowl muffler

Old 02-08-2008, 12:23 PM
sti warrior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jett 50BSE with in cowl muffler

Well i bought a Jett 50BSE and a Jett in-cowl muffler to run on my new sundowner 50, i am having trouble with the fuel lines.
First off it has a RNV and by the way it is positioned i need a whole lot of fuel line, it was mounted the way it is supposed to.
Now as for the jett muffler, the throttle line goes right between the engine and muffler and above the exhaust nipple. Is there any 90 degree nipples available?
RNV nipple and exhaust nipple are exactly across from each other fairly close 1/2 inch with the throttle wire going right in between so theres almost no space to mount the fuel lines,
Old 02-08-2008, 01:06 PM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Default RE: Jett 50BSE with in cowl muffler

ORIGINAL: sti warrior

Well i bought a Jett 50BSE and a Jett in-cowl muffler to run on my new sundowner 50, i am having trouble with the fuel lines.
First off it has a RNV and by the way it is positioned i need a whole lot of fuel line, it was mounted the way it is supposed to.
Now as for the jett muffler, the throttle line goes right between the engine and muffler and above the exhaust nipple. Is there any 90 degree nipples available?
RNV nipple and exhaust nipple are exactly across from each other fairly close 1/2 inch with the throttle wire going right in between so theres almost no space to mount the fuel lines,
Thanks for writing.

You are the first one I am aware of trying to setup the sundowner with the turbo-jett muffler. Two others are preparing istallations using the regular jett-stream muffler. Be sure to send a photo or two my way when you get things worked out.

First... Remove the remote needle assembly from the engine. Mount it on the firewall, engine box, or firewall bulkhead. Do not be all that concerned about fuel line length. Just make it neat. That is perhaps the greatest feature of the Jett needle valves...... mount it anywhere. You have pleanty of options within that cowl.

The throttle pushrod may take a little thought, and you will likely have to abandon the "ARF" routing.

I have the same engine/muffler setup on my P-51 mustang, and i was able to route the pushrod without a great deal of trouble. The throttle pushrod was .030 dia steel wire. Sorry this photo is a little small... but you can see where I made a z-bend to get around the engine mount, and up tight to the engine Dubro ball joint on the end - the ball mounted on the "inside" of the throttle arm (so it didnt stick out and rub on the cowl - tight fit!). See attached images. You can see where I mounted the needle valve on this aircraft.

Yes, the pressure line is pretty close to the engine and tends to be close to the pushrod. There are 90deg pressure nipples, but they are larger and will not save you any room.

One thing I and others have done with other turbo-jett installations was to turn the throttle arm 180deg over and run the throttle pushrod "over" the muffler. Sounds weird, but it really isnt. Actually allows you to move the pushrod routing out and away from the crowded engine mount and fuel tank area. I use that configuration on my Edge 540. Dub did that on his Zero too. If you go this route, use care adjusting the arm to the throttle barrel and tightening the retaining nut afterwards. Not hard, just take your time. I am not sure if the space available in the cowl will permit this, but worth looking at.

I posted a couple of photos of the Edge installation (this is a 76L engine .. thus the big prop) - note where I have the needle valve on this one.... firewall mounted, exit on top.

Let me know how you make out....

Bob
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40523.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	873168   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt60760.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	873169   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66934.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	873170   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up48966.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	873171  
Old 02-08-2008, 02:11 PM
sti warrior

Default RE: Jett 50BSE with in cowl muffler

the jeat stream muffler did not fit the sundowner i needed spacers and long bolts for cleanliness i opted fot a turbo jett in cowl muffler