Community
Search
Notices
Dub Jett Engines Support Bob Brassel of Dub Jett Engines provides direct support here for Jett Engines.

Which Jett for my new Toy?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 01:35 PM
YUKONFLYR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Jett for my new Toy?

Im thinking a SJ50, is there anything that will get close to full race config with a throttle and ease of use?

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nk27739.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	1049795  
Old 10-11-2008, 09:40 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: Which Jett for my new Toy?

yukonflyr:

Like the way you think. I have almost all the Jetts from 35 to 90 including two 60's. Be sure you buy the LX type, will give you more rpm and rpm is good. Have the 60LX in a home brew streemlined Q-500 type thingy. Can start it on the bench, set it down and idle out to the strip, take off and scoot well over 150, slow down and do some rolls and loops and generally show it off. Yes, it will hover, just not long or well. It will run with the nelsons, don't know about the new LS. The Jett 50L is a good overall engine, just does not have the rpms or prop that the 60 LX will cary. They all are user friendly in my book, have never adjusted the idle screw on any of them. Have never worn one of the things out, ranging from over a year to seven for the 35, got gallons and gallons throuh her. Yess I love Jetts and think they are worth every penny, no not related to Dub Jett or Bob, do love um like brothers. Simply great people like so many others in our hobby. ENJOY
Old 10-12-2008, 08:11 PM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Two choices........

SJ-50 - stock engine. Maybe order it with the SS/LX muffler. Run the 8.5x7.25 props. Perfect throttle and idle.

or...

You can order the Q-500 engine (428 engine) with the red carb. Throttle capability, sort of a decent idle. But its full 428 power. 8.8x8.75 prop. (sometimes Dub has these on the Hangar sale list).
Old 10-16-2008, 01:27 PM
YUKONFLYR

Bob - Thanks for the info

Would the 60lx work as well as a stock SJ50 with the SS muffler? or would it be overkill?

Also the plane has a mount but I am assuming that the sport engines are not the same config as the racing engines. Any way to get a q40 mount undrilled or set up for a sport engine?

Thanks
Old 10-16-2008, 04:19 PM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

60lx will work well too.

It is just a little big less "user friendly" than the SJ-50 is. Not a problem, just has to be propped correctly, and attention to the fuel system..... as you have to on a QM anyway.

You can buy the same mount from Dub for a sport SJ-46, 50 engine. No problem there.

I seem to recall that the plane you have was last flying with a sport engine in it. See which mount is on it and what it is drilled for.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:55 AM
YUKONFLYR

Ok checked out the mount, a Nelson Q40 bolts in. I will order the SJ mount from Dub along with a engine as well.....

Thanks again