Dub Jett Engines Support Bob Brassel of Dub Jett Engines provides direct support here for Jett Engines.

Phoenix Strega and SJ .50 engine

Old 05-29-2009, 03:22 PM
JT Hammer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Phoenix Strega and SJ .50 engine

I have been flying my Phoenix F-20 Tigershark since last year with the Sport Jett .50 engine. What a great combination! It really commands attention at the field when it flys. I also can't say enough good things about this Phoenix ARF. The only thing I changed were the plastic horns and metric wire rods, with standard ones. I did install a clear canopy, as well, but this was just for looks. Anyway, I am considering to order the Phoenix Strega and putting the SJ .50 on the front. I just read a review of this airpane which showed an O.S. .46 installed with it's stock muffler. The engine is angle mounted so the muffler exits at the very bottom of the fuse. The Jett engine has a much longer muffler and I think it may contact the wing at the leading edge - but I am not sure, looking at the photos in the review. Can anyone clarify this issue? Has anyone used the SJ .50 in this model? The metal engine mount uses the strap hold-down method and is preinstalled according to the review, so I would not be inclined to mess around with that. Will look forward to any comments................JT
Old 05-30-2009, 06:48 PM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Phoenix Strega and SJ .50 engine

Best way to avoid an interference is to rotate the engine installation (if possible)to avoid the contact.

Glad to hear the F-20 flys well....

Bob
Old 06-02-2009, 07:57 PM
still4given

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have the Phoenix Models Strega with a Jett 50 installed. It will not work in the stock position, the muffler is too long. I have mine mounted inverted and just slightly twisted to allow the muffler to clear the side of the fuse. I've been flying it this way for two years with no problem. It is not difficult to drill new holes for the blind nuts. A TT Pro46 or OS .46 will fit in the stock possition. Th cowl comes uncut so you can cut to fit.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-03-2009, 04:56 PM
JT Hammer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the replies. To 'still4given' : When you installed the Jett 50, did you use the engine mount that came with the ARF? Was it the metal type with clamping straps or the blue plastic/nylon one? Did you have to file the mount somewhat to accommodate the Jett? Do you think the engine could be mounted upright or slightly tilted to the left (from the front) to allow the muffler to lay along the side of the fusalage? Where did you mount the needle valve assembly - on the engine or on the firewall or fuse? If you fly off grass, how does it handle? I read in a review that the tail bounces up easily when in taxi. Did you find it neccessary to bend the landing gear legs forward a bit? Lastly, how do you feel about the performance of this combination. Thx again for your help.

JT