Community
Search
Notices
Dub Jett Engines Support Bob Brassel of Dub Jett Engines provides direct support here for Jett Engines.

FIRE 40 glow plug and questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 07:14 AM
Blade-breaker
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FIRE 40 glow plug and questions

Hi,

I recieved a FIRE 40 with the tuned pipe and header about 3 weeks ago. After 2 tanks running on the ground the glow pulg failed. (no it was not lean). The recommended plugs are the K&B but I do not have access to those. I do have OS #8 and 4Stroke plugs. Would either of these work? If not could you please recommend a plug that I may be able to find in my area.

Thanks
Old 06-09-2009, 10:52 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Default RE: FIRE 40 glow plug and questions

Hi Blade..

Thanks for writing...

Any good "hot" plug works well in the FIRE engines.

The OS #8 will work most of the time, but is more of a "warm" or medium glow plug. The engine will run well. If you find the midrange or transition struggling a bit, then you will have to move to a hotter plug.

Hangar 9 performance plugs #3 work well. http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=HAN3020

OSA3 works well too.

The OSFS plugs actaully work pretty well - they are by nature "hot" plugs. We use these sometimes on the piped FIRE90LX to keep the midrange clear on short pipe setups.

Others...

Enya #3
K&B 1L, HP
McCoy MC-59
Merlin HOT
Rossi (nova rossi) #2, #3

Consider the "temperature" of the glow plug as controlling the ignition timing. In general for most engines, colder fires later. If you get a wet fuel charge, the colder plug will tend to gocool (or go out), and you get a transition stumble or a midrange that just seems all over the place.

Let me know how things work out.

Oh........ what prop are you using on your FIRE40 for break-in ?

Bob
Old 06-10-2009, 11:01 PM
Blade-breaker
My Feedback: (4)

Thanks for your response! I do have a few different rossi plugs I can try or I will try the OS4stroke.

I have a 8.75x8 apc prop that I bought from Jett when I bought the engine. This is the one that he had marked as my break in prop. When I was ground running it I showed a peak rpm of about 18000 rpm before I richened it out a thousand rpm or so. Does that sound like the rpm I should be getting with that prop? Also I am running cool power 15% for fuel.

I will let you know what I find.
Old 06-11-2009, 02:00 PM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Yeah, everything sounds good.

Id personally prefer to run Omega (with a tad of castor in it) but you should be ok.

For run-in on the bench, back it down only about 500-600 rpm from peak. For first flights, back down about 700-800 rpm.

Bob