Community
Search
Notices
Dub Jett Engines Support Bob Brassel of Dub Jett Engines provides direct support here for Jett Engines.

Best JETT for 70's Era Pattern Plane

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 06:00 PM
JCINTEXAS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best JETT for 70's Era Pattern Plane

Bob,
I flew Pattern competition back in the 70's. IMO the Pattern Planes of the 70's and 80's were (and still are) the best flying of all RC planes. Back then my favorite was the Vertigo II with a piped Rossi .60. I also flew the Banshee (Jersey Jim design), and Bob Smith's T2-A....and of course a Kaos. Everybody had at least one Kaos. So I'm gonna get a Pattern Plane and put retracts in it. Haven't decided which one, maybe a Brushfire. I would appreciate your advice as to which JETT engine and muffler/pipe would be the best choice for this type plane.
Thank you
JC
Old 07-13-2009, 11:53 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Best JETT for 70's Era Pattern Plane

Thanks for writing...

I too am an old pattern guy ...... 70s-80s-early90s. No argument with that..... still some of the best designs.

A couple of ways to look at your question because there are two different "60" engine sizes involved.

For planes that use to fly with a ST60 bluehead, ST53, Webra Blackhead, Veco 61, OS gold head (pre-schnurle engines for the most part) you want to use an engine that is about the same size and weight, and at least as much power. The original T2A, Intruder, Beachcomber, Banshee, Eyeball, Troublemaker ... planes in the 6.5-7.5lb range, around 625 to 675 sq in wings fit into this category.

For these, the Jett 60L engine works great. Not the 60LX. Use the longer jett-stream muffler, prop with an 11x5 prop. Or, if you wish, use a full pipe and have it set up for an 11x6 or 11x7.
The OS55AX is pretty close in power, and with the jett-stream muffler or a pipe fits the same bill.... so a great choice here too.

For the later model planes, larger, 7.5lbs and up, (Compensator, Curare, Tipo, Brushfire, T2A-Mk2, Dirty Birdy, Illusion, Citation, UFO, EU-1A, Escape - you want a "big block" 60 engine like the Rossi was. If you are not going to compete in one of the vintage pattern events, you are not limited to a 10cc engine. So for these, the Jett 90L, 90LX, and the FIRE 90L and 90LX are GREAT choices. Quite a number of these aircraft flying with Jett 90 power.

The Jett 90 engine is about the same size and weight as a current OS61FX and OS91FX. So easy to compair to the Rossi, OS, OPS and YS engines of years past.

I hope this is helpful.

Bob
Old 07-13-2009, 02:04 PM
JCINTEXAS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Best JETT for 70's Era Pattern Plane

Thank you Bob. I appreciate the information. A JETT 90 it will be. Not sure yet which one.
Best Regards
JC