Dub Jett Engines Support Bob Brassel of Dub Jett Engines provides direct support here for Jett Engines.

ceramic bearings and Jett engine

Old 10-28-2009, 07:35 PM
jplavoie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default ceramic bearings and Jett engine

Hi Bob,

I would like to know your opinion about using ceramic bearings in Jett engine. In theory, they last longer but I wanted to know if they really worth extra $$.

Thanks
Old 10-28-2009, 08:46 PM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: ceramic bearings and Jett engine

In brief, in the Jett engines the answer is no.

But there is no reason you could not use them if you wish. Typically good products if you get the right one for the job. Ceramic bearings do help out in some engine applications where added durability is needed.

The stock jett bearings are very good, good lubrication paths within the engine, and if you take care of the engine, they last for ages. They are properly sized for the engines (usually the issue with other engines prone to bearing failure). So they wear very little, and very rarely mechanically fail.

My racing engines get new bearings at the end of each season. The sport engines .... last set I changed out was in my SJ50, and that was 3 years ago (that engine is 10 years old).

The only other times I have had to replace a bearing was after a crash or dirt otherwise got into the front bearing, or one time where I was careless and left a "wet" engine sit in my basement for a few months - rusted the crud out of the bearings and crankshaft. My bad there. When I have need to change one bearing, I will change both as a set.

If you do not take care of the engine, even ceramic bearings will fail.

Rust or other foreign matter on the races is the main failure mode for most model engine bearings. Caused by not running the engine dry, or proper used of occational after run oil. Even ceramic bearings will fail if they get pitted or rusted. Some bearings I ran across a few years ago in an import engine were made with poor quality steel races that will rust if you breath heavy on them (exageration).

I hope this is helpful

Bob