Community
Search
Notices
Dub Jett Engines Support Bob Brassel of Dub Jett Engines provides direct support here for Jett Engines.

YS61 2 Stroke w/ Jett-Stream Muffler

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 04:00 PM
hrrcflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YS61 2 Stroke w/ Jett-Stream Muffler

Hello Gentlemen,

I recently received a NIB YS61 Long 2 stroke and a new Jett-Stream Tuned Muffler with adapter. I have numerous YS four strokes, but this is my first YS 2 stroke. I would appreciate some prop size recommendations for this combination to get the most performance out of the motor without hurting it. The motor will be going into a classic pattern plane, but I haven't made up my mind which one yet.

BTW, I live a sea level and I'm planning on using Byron 20/20 fuel unless someone suggests a different fuel. Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Old 10-28-2009, 08:57 PM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Default RE: YS61 2 Stroke w/ Jett-Stream Muffler

Hi David,

Thanks for writing.......

I flew a few YS engines back in the day. Always good powerplants. Unless you go out of your way .... you will not hurt the engine. You already know the drill regarding after-run oil in the YS.

The engine you have works great with 12x10, 12x12 props. In an older design aircraft, you may have to drop to an 11x10 or 11x11 for ground clearance.

With the jettstream, any of those props will work quite well.

The 20-20 fuel will work fine. I ran mine on standard 15% omega most of the time. A bit more nitro will not hurt it.

Word of caution - keep in mind the YS61 engines are physically larger and sorta heavy compared to the ST blue head or Webra black head , or even OS 60 FSR from back in the day. Plan your engine installation well in advance and accordingly.

Let me know things go when you get to testing props on the test stand.

Bob
Old 10-29-2009, 06:33 AM
hrrcflyer

Bob,

I'll run the props on the motor and let you know how they work. You are absolutely right about the weight of the motor. It is quite a bit heavier than other 2 strokes. You know, I was thinking last night about how the motor would work in the new H9 Phoenix 7. I bet it would be quite an impressive combination.

Thanks for the tips. I really appreciate it.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:11 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Mike has his new small block 60 in the P7 and noted that bigger 61-90 block engines might not be a good idea. I am looking forward to using the jett 60L in the phx 7 when it becomes available.