Dub Jett Engines Support Bob Brassel of Dub Jett Engines provides direct support here for Jett Engines.

Bubble Jet Tanks and the new SJ56

Old 01-10-2010, 03:13 PM
summerwind

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Bubble Jet Tanks and the new SJ56

got a chance to speak to Dub on Friday about which engine to get for a Patriot.
i'm going with his recommendation for the BSE 50. and i also thank you for your help so far
he mentioned the SJ56 that is replacing the 60LX and it sounds like it is going to be an animal with a better torque range, but i want to wait to see how it turns out..........i plan to buy 2 more engines this year......1 will be the 90 and the other.......???(56)

i forgot to get into Tanks with him as i felt he was very busy.
at this point though he said to just run the 8oz tank. i know i can at a later time put another tank in there and run them as has been mentioned in the various Patriot threads...........but i am also wondering if there may be some larger slim style Bubble Jet tanks in the works?

thx
mike
Old 01-10-2010, 04:06 PM
wind junkie
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Bubble Jet Tanks and the new SJ56

Another brand to consider might be Tettra Tanks from Central Hobbies. I've gone through MANY bubble Jett tanks due to my own improper fueling tendencies when abusing the Jett Tanks.

http://www.centralhobbies.com/Fuel/fueltnk2.html

The Bubble Jett tanks are nice and light and simple, but you need to remember never to overfill them because they will burst the bladder. I also really don't care for using the big syringe. A friend has been able to use a slimline pump for a few years on his bubble Jett tank, and I don't know how he gets away with it but I'm not that lucky. I swear I've even broken a few when EMPTYING the tank but I'm not sure how that's really possible. Never had one last more than a month.

The Tettra tanks have an overflow line so you just pump the fuel in, and wait till no bubbles come out of the overflow (return line to your fuel jug). If you decide to go that route, be sure to get a filter for your return line.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:52 PM
mumblety-peg
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Would the 10 oz Tettra fit the Patriot 40?
Old 01-13-2010, 07:45 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

From my experience, probably not.... the patriot has limited tank space.

One thing of note, wind junkie mentioned not using the syringe, and also about risking bursting the bladder.

If you use the jett tanker (syringe) method ... two things: 1) you will not burst a tank, because you "feel" when it is full. 2) it is a fool proof method to get ALL of the air out of the thank.

Filling a Jett tank with an electric or hand crank pump.. a burst bladder is inevitable. You can not get that feel.

You can set up the tettra tank with 3 lines. I set them up with only 2 like the Jett. The idea is a bulletproof, air-leak-proof system. 3 lines ads to that risk.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:07 AM
summerwind

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

hi Bob,

aside from WJ hijacking my thread, could you at least confirm whether or not other sized BJ tanks will be available?

that was basically what the topic was about anyways.

thx
mike
PS, i don't believe half of what some people say................only the half that you say
Old 01-13-2010, 11:42 AM
wind junkie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: summerwind

hi Bob,

aside from WJ hijacking my thread, could you at least confirm whether or not other sized BJ tanks will be available?

that was basically what the topic was about anyways.

thx
mike
PS, i don't believe half of what some people say................only the half that you say

I've had Dub on the phone several times over the years, and he even agreed that maybe I should try the Tettra brand since I was having so much trouble with the BJ variety.

Sorry I forgot this was the Jett forum, that was my faux pas. [:@]

However, I didn't mean to "hijack your thread." Just listing an alternative with some possible benefits. Take it or leave it.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:45 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

no worries...

i recommend the tetra tanks often too. Good products.... and available larger sizes..
Old 01-13-2010, 12:21 PM
summerwind

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

wind junkie,

no problem and i didn't mean to seem so curt........although you are not one of them, there are several people who will chime in with no useful info other than to downgrade something.

having used pacifiers as fuel tanks on our Free Flight planes has taught me just how to handle fuel systems like the Bubble Jet tanks.
Dub probably told you to use the Tettra as it is probably a more user friendly decvice..........i have a couple and i think they are quite heavy though.

i was really just hoping that maybe Dub was coming out with a 10oz tank with the OD of the standard 8oz.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:17 PM
MJD

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have about a dozen Jett tanks and so far I have not damaged a bladder yet (my time will come ) despite the few times I've carefully used verboten methods of filling when the syringe filler was left at home. I might be lucky there. They sure work great.

Interesting comment on the weight of the Tettras.

MJD