RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Dub Jett Engines Support (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/dub-jett-engines-support-115/)
-   -   SJ50 with H9 Phoenix 7-will it work? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/dub-jett-engines-support-115/10649396-sj50-h9-phoenix-7-will-work.html)

nhblacksmith 08-01-2011 08:17 AM

SJ50 with H9 Phoenix 7-will it work?

I want to learn pattern flying and just purchased a Hangar 9 Phoenix 7 ARF. I don't intend to compete (at this point) but want to be able to fly the classic pattern maneuvers. Since I already own a new SJ50 and two used ones I would like to use one of these engines in the plane but I'm not sure if they are adequate or can be propped correctly. I'm a newbie at this so I would like an experienced opinion on any deficiencies in flight performance with this combo. My thoughts were that if the SJ50 doesn't work, I could later upgrade to an SJ60L without having to modify the cutouts in the fiberglass fuse. I will be using the Jett tuned muffler, not a pipe. Thanks for any help.

Neal in NH

bgw45 08-02-2011 07:43 AM

RE: SJ50 with H9 Phoenix 7-will it work?

I have a bunch of questions also. I would like to have a SPA legal plane. This might fit the bill for me since I don't want to build. The manual suggests an Evo .60NX. I'm thinking, since I can't use a pipe, that an OS .55 AX might be more reliable as far as throttle transition goes. Would it be legal? Would it be enough engine for the airframe. I know the OS 55 is about 2 oz. heavier than the Evo .60, but lighter than a .91 FS ( the only one I have in my stable is a Saito ).

Is anyone actually flying this airframe in SPA? What is your set-up and what would you do different?

bob27s 08-08-2011 09:19 AM

Sorry for the delay.... was on vacation :)

Actually, properly set up, the SJ-50 would work well in the P-7. Most people do not realize the torque this beast really has.

On the P-7 I would suggest propping the SJ-50 with a 11x5 prop. (do not get fixated on prop size, some people put to much into this). Will let the engine turn up, you will get all the pull you want. Once familiar with the setup, you can try an 11x6. Master airscrew simitar, Vess, APC are good choices to work with.

You want a prop selection that lets the engine turn at least 15,000 ground peak rpm. You can back off rich down to around 14,500 or even 14,000. Just do not get it lean. Find peak, back off at least 600-800 rpm and fly it.

The SJ-60L is only now available in the standard version. SJ-60LX was replaced with the SJ-56LX. You want a standard 60L if you go that route. Very happy turning the 11x5 or 11x6 props.

My first suggestion..
Put your existing SJ-50 on the test stand. Run it with 11x5 ... become familiar with it, get a baseline rpm. Understand how it needles.

Bob

ORIGINAL: nhblacksmith

I want to learn pattern flying and just purchased a Hangar 9 Phoenix 7 ARF. I don't intend to compete (at this point) but want to be able to fly the classic pattern maneuvers. Since I already own a new SJ50 and two used ones I would like to use one of these engines in the plane but I'm not sure if they are adequate or can be propped correctly. I'm a newbie at this so I would like an experienced opinion on any deficiencies in flight performance with this combo. My thoughts were that if the SJ50 doesn't work, I could later upgrade to an SJ60L without having to modify the cutouts in the fiberglass fuse. I will be using the Jett tuned muffler, not a pipe. Thanks for any help.

Neal in NH

bob27s 08-08-2011 09:26 AM

ORIGINAL: bgw45

I have a bunch of questions also. I would like to have a SPA legal plane. This might fit the bill for me since I don't want to build. The manual suggests an Evo .60NX. I'm thinking, since I can't use a pipe, that an OS .55 AX might be more reliable as far as throttle transition goes. Would it be legal? Would it be enough engine for the airframe. I know the OS 55 is about 2 oz. heavier than the Evo .60, but lighter than a .91 FS ( the only one I have in my stable is a Saito ).

Is anyone actually flying this airframe in SPA? What is your set-up and what would you do different?
For SPA, the OS55AX with the Jett muffler is a popular combination. Standard TT-40 jett-stream, and I think you need a 1/4 spacer to fit on the P-7. Lots of experience with this combination, 11x6 or 11x7 prop you will be amazed. Use the blue version available from Horizon if you wish, tuning is approximately the same. REALLY wakes up the engine.

The Evo 60 is a very good engine - always a good choice with the tuned muffler installed.

A handful of folks are flying the Jett SJ-56LX and SJ-60L in SPA aircraft. With good prop selection they work great in the older 1970's designs where the Webra 60 speed, webra 60 blackhead, ST bluehead 60, Lee K&B .61, HP61, older OS 60FSR were utilized - keep in mind these were smaller crank case engines so current design "small block 46 size" engines drop right in.

Careful evaluating the engine weights - be sure you get weights with and without the muffler.

nhblacksmith 08-08-2011 09:44 AM

Thanks Bob, I'll try it on the stand first as you suggested but it sounds like it will be a good match. I have an original Bridi Escape kit waiting to be built and maybe that will give me a good excuse to pick up a .60 later. Hope you enjoyed your vaction.

Neal

bgw45 08-08-2011 10:26 AM

Thanks, Bob[8D]

nhblacksmith 09-11-2011 05:10 AM

Just to follow up...

I completed the Phoenix 7 and broke the SJ 50 in on the ground as advised before installing in the plane. The plane is finished and yesterday was test day. It was pretty windy so I had one of the more experienced pilots fly it on the maiden flight and WOW!!! To my knowledge, this is the first Jett at our field and when it fired up, everybody stopped what they were doing and gathered round the bench. The SJ50 is incredible, acceleration from idle to 16,000 was seamless, throttle response instant. It liked the 10 x 6 prop much better than the 11 x 5 though I'll try that again after it has more time on the engine. In the air, the motor had plenty of suds for this 7-1/2 lb plane with vertical climb limited only by one's eyesight. High speed low level passes down the runway drew lots of positive comments from the other pilots. "What have you got in that thing?" was the dominant question. This may have been the first Jett at the field but I bet it won't be the last! Thanks Jett for a great product and Dub and Bob for your helpful advice.

Neal
Lancaster, NH

bob27s 09-12-2011 09:37 AM

Neal,

Outstanding to hear your report. :) And it is always a pleasure to support our customers.

If you get the opportunity, email me a few photos of the airplane, engine installation, and of course one of you with the aircraft :)

Bob

bob27s 09-23-2011 12:08 PM

I wanted to post a couple of photos here for reference.

Makes for a nice installation.

(hmm.. will try again later - seems to be a file error uploading)

bob27s 09-30-2011 06:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey... it worked today :)