RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Dub Jett Engines Support (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/dub-jett-engines-support-115/)
-   -   ENGINE FOR SCREAMIN DEMON??? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/dub-jett-engines-support-115/9444670-engine-screamin-demon.html)

tom3097 01-24-2010 07:51 PM

ENGINE FOR SCREAMIN DEMON???

I'm building a Screamin Demon which if you're not familar with it is very similar to a Diamond Dust.My original plan was to use an old OS 40 VR-P but that didn't pan out.I was looking at your BSE FAI40 and was curious what you thought of using that engine and what fuel,props,and rpms.I also spotted your BSE .60LX High Performance and was curious about the same things with this engine.

tom3097 01-30-2010 08:54 AM

RE: ENGINE FOR SCREAMIN DEMON???

Question answered.I sent Dub an e mail with my questions and he got back to me in just a few hours.What he came up with is a BSE 40 with race internals and rear exhaust.He said it would be good for 28,000 rpm in the air with a Q40 prop.He is going to use a head button for Nelson style plugs and make a custom 2" counterbalanced spinner to match up with the cowl that Mike is nice enough to make for my new Sreamin Demon.

bob27s 01-31-2010 12:39 PM

should be a fun project.....

that engine configuration is a killer :)

tom3097 01-31-2010 12:54 PM

Definately going to be a fun project.This will be my second Jett engine.I have an old sport jett 40 with an OS 108 carb and for what it is it was pretty fast.I had it on a clipped wing Predator 2 which now has a Nelson Q500 LS.This engine Dub is putting together for me now sounds like it is going to be awesome.I ordered it with the header,pipe,prop and counterbalanced spinner Dub suggested.Do you know if he runs the engines after he builds them to see the performance?

MJD 01-31-2010 05:18 PM

For 2010 it sounds like there will be a few over-the-top Demons flitting around North America.

I and two other Canucks are planing a road trip to NC for Vicman's speed rally in late June. We should all have our "big block" Demons there, my SJ50 version and West .50 examples and who knows what else. Looking at the map, from NJ that's a stone's throw by comparison - so, you coming or what Tom? I wanna see this thing go too..! :)

The fastest aircraft last year was an SJ50 powered something, I think it was a QM15 model. 154 - BORING! None of the speeds were amazing, so they all need to be taught a lesson. Maybe the muggy hot weather didn't help matters, but SJ50 Demons have been radared at 172.

Sorry Bob, this is an engine forum, but I was thinking about Jetts you see.. and besides, you ought to be there too.

Mike D aka MJD

tom3097 03-19-2010 10:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I got my baby and I'm going to fire it up tomorrow.I can not wait to hear it and once the SD is done I can not wait to get one of those flights that your hands are shaking when you get everything back on the bench.

MJD 03-20-2010 10:08 AM

And you can wipe the sweat from your brow with the nice Jett towel. Gonna video the bench run? It's springtime and nasty engine sounds help those of us coming out of hibernation.

Someone owes you a cowl.

MJD

bob27s 03-20-2010 11:55 AM

you are gonna smile :)

Be sure to keep in the ear plugs. The prop shock will get to you especially on the test bench.

tom3097 03-20-2010 11:23 PM

I did get to run a couple of tanks through it.I unfortunately didn't bring ear plugs and it was brutal but great to hear it run.The only props I had were two 7.4x8.1C which I cut an inch off the one and rebalanced.I was getting 24,000 out of it and going by the Quickie JETT QM40 page on the Jett site I should shoot for a prop that will turn 26,000 running rich.I'll try cutting a little more off the prop and a friend is going to bring some carbon props he has which may have a little less pitch.I did do one sloppy move and that was running it on the tank that was on the stand instead of the Jett tank I bought.I'm going to set up the Jett tank on it for Sunday so I know fuel delivery is not an issue and I'll get a video for you Mike.

MJD 03-21-2010 10:24 AM

Careful Tom! I ran a Conquest .15 at 23k for 1.5 minutes yesterday, with the expansion muffler, without ear plugs, and I could feel it in my ears for an hour afterwards (not smart). You're gonna beat your ears to death with that thing! The open piped .65 was over the pain threshold within 5-6 feet of the test stand as I recall, but I did wear ear protection for that.

But I bet it sounded great. :D

MJD

tom3097 03-21-2010 06:55 PM

I brought the headphones today.Can anyone tell how excited I am about this project?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9If93NrGl8

smoknrv4 03-21-2010 08:23 PM

Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D

tom3097 03-21-2010 09:26 PM

The prop was a 7.4 x 7.6 cut down 2 inches.Awesome is definately the word that was going through my head when it was running.Mike said he was going to send me a cowl for the Screamn Demon so I think I may need to change the header to make the most of the cowl.

MJD 03-22-2010 06:46 AM

Mmmm, music to my ears. You could tune an orchestra to that nice A-440. And the best part is you wouldn't hear the violins.

MJD