Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > E-Flight Power Sources
Reload this Page >

how to charge multiple packs ImaxB6AC

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

how to charge multiple packs ImaxB6AC

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 07:55 AM
mazjag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to charge multiple packs ImaxB6AC

Guys, I bought a Imax B6-AC charger (http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...rger_1-6_Cells) and I also got the adapter to hook two 3 cell 11.1 packs to the six cell port.. On this charger to balance charge you also have to plug the battery outputs into the charger...Do I just hook the two 3 cells together in parallel and plug them in to charge two packs at the same time??? I don`t hook them in series do I??? Hopefully this Hong Kong device doesn`t burn down my house...thx...Jason
Old 09-25-2010, 11:28 AM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Default RE: how to charge multiple packs ImaxB6AC

You can do either, but your adapter sounds like it is a series adapter. Find out for sure because if mixed up there'll be a short.
Old 09-25-2010, 02:49 PM
mazjag

Its this thing (http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=10993&Product_Name=Twin_pack_charge_lead_(2_x_3S)6S_w/_XT60) ...It looks like you just plug your balance connector from each 3 cell into the yellow part and then plug the 6cell connector into your charger....Is that correct?? I was just gonna make a connector that joined the pos. and neg. of the 3 cells together.....Is that correct??? thx...Jason
Old 09-25-2010, 03:37 PM
guver

That adapter does indeed series connect the balance leads. Ultimately series packs connect this way http://www.scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/_lipo.html When doing series packs they must require the same amount of charge.
Old 09-25-2010, 04:21 PM
mazjag

you mean they both must be dead correct? Do I have to make an adapter to connect to the charger for the power leads? I just want to balance charge them...I think that charger monitors the pack through the output leads....what you say??? thx...Jason
Old 09-25-2010, 04:22 PM
mazjag

you mean they both must be dead correct? Do I have to make an adapter to connect to the charger for the power leads? I just want to balance charge them...I think that charger monitors the pack through the output leads....what you say??? thx...Jason
Old 09-25-2010, 04:31 PM
guver

They do not necessarily have to be dead, they have to "require the same amount of capacity" (give or take a little that can be tolerated by balancing.  It looks like The charger main lead plugs into the adapter's main plug , but I don't see separate main plugs for each pack.  I have that adapter and will check it to see. Ultimately all series charging is wired the exact same way. Maybe this helps? Interact with the "balance connector" on the link I posted. It should explain a lot better with pics than I can in text.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:16 AM
mazjag

Yeah, I think i have it...Its basically hooking the things in series through the balance connector and making a 6cell 22.2 volt pack...Thanks for the help and the link....I just use 2200ma packs so it should be easy.....Jason