Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

Power15 cutting out

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 10:56 AM
Pit-Viper 1
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power15 cutting out

Hey guys I got a question for you. I put flights 2 and 3 on my Bonanza 15e yesterday and during the third I noticed that the motor was cutting out after only a few minutes flying. I normally fly at 3/4 throttle with a few high speed passes. Anyway I had an on board video camera on it so I caught the action. I landed after both times it cut out and neither the battery or esc were hot. Actually barely even warm. I'm using the recommended setup with the only exception being the battery. It's a Desire power 3S1P 3300mAh 25C. Also using a APC 11X8e prop. My Watt meter should be here today hopefully.

It does it at about the 11 and 43 sec. mark. total flight was about 5 minutes. Any ideas??

[link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCxZMOqLDVw[/link]

Thanks Shane
Old 10-09-2010, 07:17 PM
Dr_Chuckie

Default RE: Power15 cutting out

Does the motor quit completely? Have you tried throttling all the way down and then back up? I have a similar problem. I'll be flying along and then I lose power. I throttle up and nothing. If I throttle all the way down then back up all is fine and I can finish out the flight.
Old 10-09-2010, 08:18 PM
Pit-Viper 1

It was doing about the same thing, turned out i was on the throttle a little too much for too long. I also went from a 11x7 to 11x6e prop and it made a big difference. Flew 3 flights with no problems. Here's the last flight..

[link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYm-4DDwuvs&feature=player_embedded[/link]

Shane
Old 10-14-2010, 09:13 AM
Dr Kiwi

ORIGINAL: Dr_Chuckie

Does the motor quit completely? Have you tried throttling all the way down and then back up? I have a similar problem. I'll be flying along and then I lose power. I throttle up and nothing. If I throttle all the way down then back up all is fine and I can finish out the flight.
Simply put, your WOT amp draw is too much for the pack to deliver and is causing the voltage to drop below LVC... by throttling back to zero you are re-setting the LVC...you need a bigger or better pack.
Old 10-14-2010, 03:42 PM
Pit-Viper 1

On mine I didn't have to throttle all the way down, just reduced power by 1/4 and it quit. After I tested mine it was slightly to much prop for the motor and it didn't like it.

Shane
Old 11-13-2010, 06:52 PM
KB9STD
My Feedback: (1)

It may actualy be too much prop for the motor.But it's the battery that is being "Dragged down" by the amp draw and causing the ESC to cut out.That prop, on that motor is toomuch for the battery.With a better battery,it might then be too much prop for the motor. You really can't get too many watts from a motor,unless You have a battery that can push the watts through it
Old 11-14-2010, 06:35 AM
Pit-Viper 1

I was running a 25c battery in mine and it actually needed a 30c. No more problems since I changed it.

Shane