Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > E-Flight Power Sources
Reload this Page >

Lipo advice GWS Slow Stick

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

Lipo advice GWS Slow Stick

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 11:36 AM
FlaBob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lipo advice GWS Slow Stick

I have a GWS Slow Stick and have been using a eflight 9.6 volt, 730 mah Ni-MH battery. It is shot and I just got the Parkzone t-28 that came with the charger. I wanted to upgrade to a Lipo for the stick. I have a Electrifly C-25 Mini speed control and I assume the motor is the 350 stock brushed motor. The esc says I have to use a brushed motor so I don't want to change that setup but want to upgrade the battery. I was looking at the 2s 1000mah Turnigy. Would this work and what would some of you recomend? Thanks for any help!!!
Old 02-20-2011, 06:44 PM
Todd4OO

Default RE: Lipo advice GWS Slow Stick

Im just starting to do a brushless build SS and from what ive read they will accomodate up to a 3s 2200mah with a 15a esc, I have a couple new 2s 2100mah which I plan on using for mine, I cant see why your set up wouldnt be fine with a 1000mah lipo.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:07 AM
soarhead-RCU

The SS will carry about any size battery as far as weight goes, but if you have the 300-350 motor a 2s is the limit for these motors. Yours has the grey gear box, right???
I have flown mine with several size batteries from 1000ma to 2600ma, my batteries are mounted under the CG so different weights are not a problem. If you have a motor with the black gear box it is a 400 motor and will take 3 cells with a change to the 9X5HD prop. Be sure to check your CG after you change batteries as the difference it weights will make a diffference. Also dont run the battery down below 3v per cell if your ESC is not Lipo compatable.

Good Luck
Bob
Old 02-21-2011, 04:59 PM
FlaBob

Mine is a silver motor with a black plastic gear box. Which motor do you think this is?
Old 02-22-2011, 04:43 PM
Swift427

Being that you were using a 9.6v NiMH with 25amp ESC you most likely have the GWS EPS-400C brushed motor with black gear box. However, with some aggressive flying a 3S 11.1v LiPo can overheat the 400 brushed motor diminishing it's life even with a smaller prop size. Afterall, the SS wasn't designed for speed and aerobatics, but then tell that to most SS enthusiasts.

A 7.4v 2S 1000-2500mAh LiPo is a good match for a 300/350, but you won’t be able to spin the 400s prop as fast with your 7.4v LiPo as with your 9.6v NiMH. So, you might be disappointed with the 400s performance using a 2S 7.4v battery. However, a bigger problem is the LVC of the ElectriFly C-25 Mini ESC. Its LiPo LVC spec is:
Low Voltage Cutoff: 0.80V per cell for NiCd/NiMH; 2.75V per cell for LiPo. That basically means you want to land before LVC. The LVC for any LiPo pack should be closer to 3.2 volts per cell and no lower than 3.0 volts per cell.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:52 AM
FlaBob

So if I do go with a brushless motor with new esc what would anyone recommend that would not cost much. I would like to be able to use the t-28 battery in the slow stick and just get several more for the t-28 that could work in both planes. Also what is a good battery for the t-28? I was looking at Hobby King site but was not sure what would be a good match. Thanks for the help!
Old 03-13-2011, 09:54 AM
Hokie Flyer

Check out BP Hobbies.  They sell brushless ESC's that don't cost an arm and a leg.  Several of my flying buddies use these and they work well.

Rob

http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id=V815101
Old 03-17-2011, 11:10 PM
plane-addict

Do you have a wattmeter? It's a important thing to have when flying electrics. With a Wattmeter it's easy to see what is going on. Like you have seen in earlier posts, 11.1V is too much, but with some throttle managment (can you limit your throttle channel?) you will be able to fly with a 3S lipo battery.

Most of times amps kill a motor, not voltage. Keeps amps down by not moving throttle fully up or use a smaller propeller.