Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > E-Flight Power Sources
Reload this Page >

Art-tech Pitts special biplane charging help please

Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

Art-tech Pitts special biplane charging help please

Old 05-06-2011, 09:08 AM
hsclater

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Art-tech Pitts special biplane charging help please

Hi, I just picked up one of these cheap, someone bought it a few years ago and never flew it. It comes with a very basic Lipo charger with no LEDs or anything, and a 11.1v 1300Mah 3cell Lipo battery. This is my second plane after an HZ super cub, so I am not used to lipos.

The receipt is from 2007, so I guess this has been sitting around since then unused. The manual also says nothing about how long to charge for.

Can someone help answer my queries?

- How long should I charge the battery for using the included charger? 1-2 hours ok?
- Is the battery likely to be dead, it seems to work OK on the ground but I don't want to fly off only to crash in 50 yards because it is not holding a charge
- What replacement batteries can I use, they will need to be pretty much the same size otherwise it will be a very tight fit. I guess 1800 will be too long without modification and messing up the centre of gravity?
- If I buy a couple of 1300's from somewhere, should I get a decent charger as well? Any recommendations?

Oh and really stupid question., but one cable on the battery is for charging and connecting to the plane, what is the other (white) one for???

Thanks in advance

Hal.
Old 05-06-2011, 01:45 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Default RE: Art-tech Pitts special biplane charging help please

We won't know how long to charge without knowing the rate and capacity required. It is difficult to figure since lipo chargers do not stay at a constant rate the whole time. Most (or all) of them shut off when full.

I'd bet money that the pack may be a touch weak, but useable. The only way is to try it or test it. A voltage check on each cell would be a great start.

I can't recommend specific batts, but any 3s that fits is probably ok. You may not need a new charger at all unless you like to see what's going on with your pack during charge. A DVM is a must have.

The white 4 wire plug is hooked to each cell for voltage reading and balancing.
Old 05-07-2011, 12:39 AM
hsclater

It says to charge at 0.5c

Also says not to discharge over 10c for a long time.

Can I just pick up any old 1300mah ones and a balance charger - would something like [link=http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/iMAX-B6-Digital-RC-Lipo-NiMh-battery-Balance-Charger-UK-/180663569724?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item2a10634d3c#ht_2976wt_1113]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/iMAX-B6-Digital-RC-Lipo-NiMh-battery-Balance-Charger-UK-/180663569724?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item2a10634d3c#ht_2976wt_1113[/link]this be ok?

Thanks
Old 05-07-2011, 11:41 AM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

.5C delivers 650 ma (650 mah) Per Hr in the constant current stage of charging. You'd be looking at around a 2 hr charge , but the charger should shut off when batt is full.

The charger will do a nice job and I'm a bit hesitant to say "any old" 1300 mah pack , but since the original is 2007 then most any of todays packs will blow it away. Try to look for a 20C or higher , they should be real cheap.