Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > E-Flight Power Sources
Reload this Page >

Battery Recommendation for T-33

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

Battery Recommendation for T-33

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2003, 02:23 AM
secretspy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Recommendation for T-33

I'm new to electrics in general. I have a Kyosho T-33 that has been laying around that I just finished. I feel it is a bit underpowered with the stock AP29L motor and the 7-cell NiCd 2000mah battery on it, and it only lasts about 5 minutes in flight. I'm thinking about getting a Hacker B-40 brushless motor and a LiPo battery pack to increase power and endurance, and decrease weight. I would like to keep the same speed control if possible, a JETI jes500.

What battery would you recommend? I really dont know how much current it draws right now, but I could find out with the help of a friend. I have heard that flights can be as long as 25 minutes with the right combination, but if charging time is too long then that's really no use to me. Is there any way I can get at least 10-15 minute flights, with charge times in the 1-hour range (or less, but it sounds like an hour is the best I can hope for).

Also, what happens if I got the battery but kept the existing AP29L motor? Would flights still be longer?

I've read through several of the posts here, including the "history brief," but any additional advice, recommendationsm or anything that anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated. I'm looking to have fun here, not wait around for my batteries to charge.
Old 10-04-2003, 08:16 AM
Greg Covey

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Battery Recommendation for T-33

Hi,

You are right, the early Kyosho electric planes and jets were all dogs.

I think that you will find using a Mega brushless motor to be an excellent upgrade with or without Lithium cells.

Here are some suggestions:

- Kyosho T-33 with stock fan
- Mega 16/15/2 brushless motor
- Jeti Advance 70A opto
- 6-cell 1950mAh HR-4/5FAUP pack
- 34 oz. RTF

A 40-amp Jeti ESC for the above setup is fine and saves 3oz.

Flight times are still only around 5 minutes so you'll need to invest in some Lithium cells to improve the duration without a weight penalty. The penalty is cost.

A 2s6p pack of Kokam 340SHC cells would be similar to the above NiMH pack but weigh much less so you could parallel even more cells.

Call or e-mail Troy at [link=http://www.b-p-p.com/KokamSHCpacks.htm]Bishop Power Products[/link] and he can design a pack configuration for your needs and give you a cost and performance critique. In general, it will likely cost around $150 so prepare yourself.

Good luck!
Old 10-04-2003, 12:53 PM
secretspy

whew...$150 huh? Sure is expensive for a battery pack.

OK, so a little more specific question: My JETI jes 500 speed control says it can handle 50 A continuous...it can be seen at the bottom of [link=http://aircraft-world.com/prod_datasheets/jeti_dc-esc.htm]this[/link] chart. It also says it is for brushed motors??? Will this work with a brushless?

One other question: Greg, you said a 2s6p pack would be similar....2s means 2 cell, i think...? what does 6p mean? Also, Would that provide the same voltage to the motor? Kyosho originally recommended a 7 cell NiCd (8.4V) and a 2 cell LiPo would only be 7.4V, right? Maybe this new motor doesnt need as much voltage to provide more power......
Old 10-04-2003, 06:14 PM
Greg Covey

The JES-500 only works for brushed motors so you'll need a new ESC for the brushless motor.

A 2s6p pack would actually contain 2*6=12 cells.

The 2s means 2 cells in series which equals the voltage of a 7-cell NiCd pack.

The 6p means that you take 6 of these 2-cell packs and put them in parallel. This multiplies the total capacity and current deliver capability. For the Kokam 340HD cell, 6 in parallel give you a total capacity of 2040mAh that can deliver 36amps continuous and more for peak short term periods.

In general, EDF planes are not efficient and really require expensive components just to make them fly well. It is unfortunite that your first (or near first) e-flight project is an expensive one but this is typical of EDF with maybe the exception of some new GWS products.
Old 10-04-2003, 11:32 PM
secretspy

Just for my own edification(sp?), why won't the JETI jes 500 work for brushless?
Old 10-05-2003, 06:59 AM
Greg Covey

The brushed motors are DC (direct current) and the brushless motors are 3-phase AC (alternating current).