Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > E-Flight Power Sources
Reload this Page >

need help for a123 battery THANKS

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

need help for a123 battery THANKS

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 05:42 PM
frank99
My Feedback: (29)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help for a123 battery THANKS

i broke off the solder tab on a A123 battery, is ther any way to re solder the tab to the battery? dont have a spot welder that was used from the factory. It needs to be safe because this pack is for the reciever in the plane thanks to all frank
Old 02-10-2009, 06:41 PM
cyclops2

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: need help for a123 battery THANKS

I would not recommend a solder job unless you ARE great at soldering. Can you find another cell ? Ask a good soldering person to do it ?

My Iron has a 1" x 1" x 2" solid copper tip & 300 watts.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:58 PM
frank99
My Feedback: (29)

trying to save a few $ and got cells out of a blacker and decker pack, i think my next move will be to find a spot welder of some kind, if this cell is lost i have lost 2 cells, could have made 4 packs, got 8 cells in pack, not the end of the world, CA glue will not work on every thing[&:] thanks frank
Old 02-15-2009, 11:34 AM
lbarnes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have resoldered several wires on the ends of battery packs.

The trick is to make sure you get the end hot enough to let the solder flow onto the battery end. Use a good solder with rosen core, and a good iron. The 40 watt irons at Radio shack will work but it takes longer to get the battery end hot enough to take the solder. This could hurt the battery as heat is not friendly to a battery.

I use a soldering gun (Weller 140w). This allows the area to get hot quickly and solder to flow easily to make a good solder joint.

After I make up a battery pack I cycle charge to determine if I have damaged a battery during the soldering procedures.

If the battery will cycle charge, let stand on the bench for 1 week then cycle charge again without a serious loss of capacity I will use it.

If it looses the charge during the 1 week of non use I will not use it.

I also keep a good eye on the battery performance by using a battery chart and record the capacity after each cycle charge to determine if it is going bad. If the capacity drops below 25% I get rid of it.

Been doing this for 8 years and havn't lost a plane to a bad battery or solder joint so far........

Good luck

Larry
Old 09-08-2011, 06:37 PM
phatg0nk

Is there any place that shows a diagram equivalent to what i would need to use in my ef 50 cc yak..This is my first gasser, still a bit nervous plusi lack alot of knowlege inthe electrical field..

If it helps , what i am looking to do is simplify things as much as possible..
possibly unregulated a123's..I did plan on using a dle 55 which i think needs to be regulated if using a123's possibly.

Should i consider.. a123 to reciever unregulated and ni cad pack to ignition unregulated?
i would love to see a layout.. i have no idea what i shouldnt be charging thru and what i should be ect.. as for like going thru switches ect with the a123's .. i guess the nicad wouldnt matter at 6v or lower.