E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

Charge Beast 3D w/ Equinox Balancer

Old 12-22-2011, 01:49 PM
kevenoco
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Charge Beast 3D w/ Equinox Balancer

Here is my charging setup for my e-flite Beast 3D using my Electrify Equinox with Triton charger. Use the 2S adapter that comes with the Equinox and a servo extension.

Note: Incorrectly connecting a lipo battery can cause fire/explosion hazards. If you are not confident with your skills then simply purchase the E-Flite charger for your battery.

1. Use female x male servo extension. At the male end of the servo extension, remove the black plastic to expose the metal sockets. Connect this end into the 2S adapter that comes with the Equinox. Note that the black and white wires are reversed between E-flite and Electrifly (see the picture where I have the Electrifly battery right beside the connector and you will notice that the white and black are reversed).

3. Remove shell cover on female end of the servo extension to expose pins. Rearrange pins on servo connector to match the color of the e-flite battery, i.e. white in the middle. This female end with pins exposed will fit into your e-flite battery (with an acceptable amount of mismatch). Make sure not to connect your battery until the other end is connected to the 2S adapter or you will short your battery!

Ready for charge.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81320.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	1703695  
Old 12-22-2011, 02:27 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Charge Beast 3D w/ Equinox Balancer

This doesn't quite sound like one should have to go to this trouble to get stuff hooked up. With the correct plugs it should be all plug-n-charge.

By looking at the pic I think the parkzone balance lead is wired incorrectly. I don't have either brand , but according to my list they should be identical and use XH taps with same polarity.

OR do I misunderstand the purpose of your post ? maybe that is the point of what you did?

The other part about shorting the battery depending upon the connection order is also a bit alarming.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:52 AM
Saburo Sakai

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Charge Beast 3D w/ Equinox Balancer

Happy New Year! Yup, the new Beast comes withoutcharger! And the battery (also not included) won't fit the standard 2S plug on any of my non-Horizon Hobby charger/balancers. So I use the E-flite 2S charger that came with my original Beastwhich is the way to go for safety!But an extra 30 bones for those without other 2S birds by E flite or Parkzone.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...rger-EFLUC1007

Hey, kudos to you if your method works! Improvising and adapting are critical aspects ofovercoming obstacles. We all know that LiPo batteries store lots of power just waiting for an excuse to have a temper-tantrum, though.
I had a short and electrical fire recently while messing around with incompatible battery stuff. Be carefuland live!