Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > E-Flight Power Sources
Reload this Page >

Charging lipo's wired in series?

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

Charging lipo's wired in series?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 10:09 AM
wsmalley
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Charging lipo's wired in series?

I've just ordered a 2nd 5000mah 5s to run in series for an EDF application. I notice a suggested wiring method is to solder and shrink wrap one set of wires. My question is how the charge works with each balance plug if they're permanently wired together? My charger only has one connection for the JST-XH plug. I guess asked another way, how will the balancer function 'read' each battery? Hope this is clear! Bill
Old 01-16-2012, 02:09 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Charging lipo's wired in series?

You'd need a balance plug adapter or board that does the same thing as you are going to do with the main lead (ties the correct + to the correct - since they will now be common)

Whatever charger you pick that is capable of 10s charging may already have it built in or it may include the balance harness with the charger.

I'd use a connector instead of soldering since it would allow use of a lot more different chargers AND it will allow parallel charging and it will allow seperate use if needed.