Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > E-Flight Power Sources
Reload this Page >

Best Setup for running a hyperion 720i super duo

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

Best Setup for running a hyperion 720i super duo

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 05:16 AM
dogginfox

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Setup for running a hyperion 720i super duo

I am looking into purchasing a hyperion 720i super duo fairly soon as my currnet charger collection consist of the cheap chargers that come with ARF, BNF and Tx-R models.

I am looking to get fast charge times so im not hauling around 10 batteries everytime I want to spend a day flying and the cheap chargers are anything but fast.

My question is if I opt to run the charger off of two 12v auto or marine batteries how many amps should I be looking at to get a dozen charges or so before I have to put the 12v batteries on a charger? Also obviously cost is an issue here but do dry cells last longer than standard batteries or gel cells? How many years should i expect to get out of 2 12v batteries in series running a charger like this?

IF i opt to build a 120v PSU out of Server PSUs would a better idea be to buy a power inverter for my car and run the charger off of that when I am away from 120v or would that drain my car battery fairly quickly?

Im just trying to wrap my head around all this Electric stuff. I am not a math guy and it seems you need to be one to understand the ins and outs of Electric flight.

Thanks for your time
Old 03-20-2012, 11:25 AM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Best Setup for running a hyperion 720i super duo

ORIGINAL: dogginfox

I am looking into purchasing a hyperion 720i super duo fairly soon as my currnet charger collection consist of the cheap chargers that come with ARF, BNF and Tx-R models.

I am looking to get fast charge times so im not hauling around 10 batteries everytime I want to spend a day flying and the cheap chargers are anything but fast.

My question is if I opt to run the charger off of two 12v auto or marine batteries how many amps should I be looking at to get a dozen charges or so before I have to put the 12v batteries on a charger? Also obviously cost is an issue here but do dry cells last longer than standard batteries or gel cells? How many years should i expect to get out of 2 12v batteries in series running a charger like this?

IF i opt to build a 120v PSU out of Server PSUs would a better idea be to buy a power inverter for my car and run the charger off of that when I am away from 120v or would that drain my car battery fairly quickly?

Im just trying to wrap my head around all this Electric stuff. I am not a math guy and it seems you need to be one to understand the ins and outs of Electric flight.

Thanks for your time

Well, a deep cycle battery is designed to be drawn down and then recharged repeatedly , an auto battery is not.
As for dry/wet/gel, that would depend on the battery itself. As to what is the cost for each with the same capabilities. You can hurt a dry cell or auto battery if you draw it down too far just one time, just like on a lipo. A deep cycle is built to be abused as such.

My choice would be a deep cycle gel battery.

A PSU is all I use at home to run a a pair of lipo and a single nicad charger as mine are all 12 volt units.

Since your charger can run off both 12 volts and 110, an inverter would be a deterrent I would think. You'd have the inverter itself and the charger pulling power from your battery.
Why make the battery work any harder and give you less amp hours, then running the charger straight off of it.

A lot of folks run their chargers off their vehicle battery, just have to be careful not to draw it down too far. If you are planning on a lot of batteries, high amp rates, and big capacity packs I'd say go with a stand alone deep cycle gel battery.

Oh and if you use your car battery get a good pair of alligator clips and connect direct to the battery, don't use the cigarette lighter socket. You could easily blow the fuse for it depending on your amp draw. Might be able to get away with it if your vehicle has accessory sockets, they have a higher amp rating then the lighter does. But I tend to stay away from them too, as you get voltage drop you wouldn't get going direct to the battery.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:42 PM
JK13

Default RE: Best Setup for running a hyperion 720i super duo

ORIGINAL: dogginfox

Thanks for your time
doninfox
The Hyp 720i Super Duo will be best run off the server power supplies you mentioned.
Run 2 of them in series for 24 volt DC input to get the most from the charger.
Search RC Groups for some great articles on how to set-up the power supplies in series for 24V DC.
This charger will not run on 110 AC needs a DC source.
I run a couple of 720i's and am getting the FMA PowerLab 8 V2 as my next charger - I think they are even better!
Do not run from car inverter except for very short periods - will run car battery down quickly.

Joe