E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

Old Lipos, hardly used, should I use them?

Old 04-09-2012, 12:46 PM
jetblast96

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Old Lipos, hardly used, should I use them?

Hey guys,
I'm getting an old electric plane of mine, e-flite mini pulse, back in the air again. I have some batteries for it but don't know if I should trust them. They are 3 years old, thunder power 2250mAh 30C 11.1V batteries. They were hardly used for more than 3 flights before I kinda gave up on that airplane and have been stored ever since. Neither of them are puffed up in any way, and I just charged one fully to 12.6V and discharged to 3.8V per cell to assure they still held a charge. Upon the end of the discharge, 1100mAh were taken out of it.
Should I trust this battery? Any other ways to test them?

Thanks
Mike
Old 04-09-2012, 01:23 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Old Lipos, hardly used, should I use them?

It "sounds" like a good like new pack. If all cells are balanced at full mark then it could also be tested on a cba or charger with some current capability. If it were mine I'd like to see how it did with about 20 amps of discharge.

Maybe you have a watt meter? that would be another way. Most times the hardest part is coming up with a standard or tolerance or a benchmark to gauge it against. If I had those packs to test I'd graph them all on a CBA at 10 , 20 and higher currents while watching the cell balance throughout the discharge curve. Then I'd compare them to some other 3sx2.2 packs.

I "think" thier ok unless you will be taxxing them very heavily. I don't know what the minipulse is , but if it is mild flying for 15-20 minutes then you aren't pulling much out of them. If it is an aggressive flight for 3-6 minutes then that may be a different matter and the [packs may not be up to it.

As a side note, I just got planes last season and the last 3sx2.2 packs i bought were $9-$10 , on the other hand I can't stand to throw away something that is still good either.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:23 PM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Old Lipos, hardly used, should I use them?

Quick test as stated, hook up a meter and run up the plane wide open for 15 seconds. See if the voltage plummets. If it seems to hold voltage, you could still have some good packs.
That's a pretty good load test for a quick check.