Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > E-Flight Power Sources
Reload this Page >

ESC or Motor problem?(video)

Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

ESC or Motor problem?(video)

Old 08-07-2012, 07:24 AM
DCSouthwind

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ESC or Motor problem?(video)

My E-Flite Apprentice 15e has a problem I'm not sure if it is the ESC or motor. When you give it throttle the motor flips back and forth instead of turning in one direction. Here is a video. Any ideas?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xlOe2VINuY[/youtube]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xlOe2VINuY
Old 08-07-2012, 10:36 AM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: ESC or Motor problem?(video)

could be either....
that is a timing issue...

try to program the ESC to a different timing and see what happens.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:55 AM
DCSouthwind

Sorry if I show my ignorance here, but, how do you change/program the ESC timing? I'm new to the RC scene. I used to fly some 20 years ago but things have changed a lot since then.
Old 08-08-2012, 04:15 AM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

What you are experiencing is called "cogging". You have one phase of the motor out of sync with the other two. Those three leads going to the motor from the esc are what power so to say your phases of the motor. Kinda like spark plugs in an engine, each has to fire in order, for the motor to spin.

I doubt that it's a timing problem, though it is easy enough to check. You should have paperwork on the esc that tells you how to program it. If not let us know what esc you have, and we can find the info for you.

But meanwhile back to your problem. You have a bad/poor connection on one of the three leads going to the motor. First though a piece of advice.
DO NOT KEEP TRYING TO RUN IT THIS WAY! Yep I'm yelling. Cogging is a dead short occurring. Keep trying to get it to run like this and you will eventually fry the motor and or esc.

Go though every connection, esc and motor looking for a bad solder joint, or broken lead, that's what's causing your problem. If need be, resolder every connection. Each solder point should look clean and shiny. Dull or dirty looking and you have a cold solder joint, as in bad connection.

If any of this seems too much for you, stop, do not proceed. Get on the phone to Horizon, if this is their ready to fly or almost ready to fly version, hands down the best customer service out there. Tell em what is happening, and more then likely they'll be able to get you fixed up.

Best of luck.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:09 AM
DCSouthwind

Thanks!

I checked the wiring and found the blue wire unplugged between the motor and ESC. Plugged it back in and now it works.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:33 PM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: DCSouthwind

Thanks!

I checked the wiring and found the blue wire unplugged between the motor and ESC. Plugged it back in and now it works.

Yep, that will do it.