Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

Backup RX pack

Old 06-04-2012, 05:38 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Backup RX pack

After having a brownout and a not so good landing(at least it didn't crash or fly off into the sunset), I am thinking of adding a 5 cell Nicad as a backup to the ESC for my T-34. Is there anything that I need to do to make it work with the ESC? I dont know if the ESC is failing, or if the motor is overheating it and causing the BEC voltage to drop off even though the Lipo has a full charge. Right now a 5 cell 2000 mah is a whole lot less expensive than a new ESC and Motor. I am going to see if I can repair the motor which appears to have a bent shaft, but wont know for sure until I press it out since it is press fit into the bell.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:40 PM
chuckk2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Backup RX pack

Well, you might consider what I did.
Disable the internal BEC, and connect an external one, capable of about 5A at 5-6V, instead of the internal 2A BEC.
I don't know what speed control you are using. Some of the E-Flite speed controls have a switch that enables/disables the internal BEC.
Disable on those that I have is switch closed, or the leads to the switch soldered together.
Old 06-23-2012, 04:53 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts
Default RE: Backup RX pack

I decided to swap the electric out for glow power, less expensive than replacing the ESC and motor.  I replaced the shaft, but it still vibrates.  I think the plane will be more badass with a 4 stroke popping along than the anemic whine of the electric motor.   That and Im the only one flying electric, so when the other guys fly, I can't hear the plane and wind up dead sticking it.