Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > E-Flight Power Sources
Reload this Page >

which battery? Please help.

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

which battery? Please help.

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2003, 12:40 PM
dmsick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which battery? Please help.

I have a mountain models mini flash with a PJS 3D 550, scorpio ESC, running on 8 cell 1000mah AE nimh pack. I also had this combo in a simprop foam sukhoi. My problem is the motor draws much more current than the battery pack can provide at full throttle. I was assured by Helmut at Dymond that this combo would give me unlimited veritcal and 8+ minute flight times with the sukhoi. Instead I got barely adequate vertical and more like 2-3 minutes of flight time. I've used both 9x6 and 10x4.75 apc sloflyer props with the same results.
I think the motor should be excellent for my mini flash but I'm new to electrics and unsure of the best way to go with batteries for my setup.
Any thoughts?
Dave
Old 09-06-2003, 09:46 PM
Greg Covey

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default which battery? Please help.

Hi Dave,

Yes, that motor can draw more than your cells can deliver. Those 1000mAh NiMH cells can only deliver about 10amps.

The equivalent size and weight cells that will perform better are the 1000mAh HECELL from eDogFight.com or the Kan 950s or new 1050s from Diversity Model Aircraft.

Good luck!
Old 09-09-2003, 07:52 PM
e-bird

Default RE: which battery? Please help.

I have a PJS400 and it draws 23 amp with a folder 8x6 1/3 power about 8 amps at 12volts so be careful. Just buy one pack and try it a while. But the is another source
that is cheap with good spec's CU

http://www.unipros.com/battpacks/mai...ssion_id=48633
Old 09-14-2003, 07:30 PM
dmsick

Default RE: which battery? Please help.

e-bird, What are you powering your 400 with? I just got an 8 cell KAN 1050. I ran the motor after charging and I think I'm actually getting less peak rpm than with my 600 ae cells. I'm going to discharge and charge the pack again to make sure I'm getting a full charge. I forgot to check the charge capacity before I removed the pack from my charger.
Dave