E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

Returning to flying..electric this time

Old 08-20-2012, 03:14 PM
dmrcflyr2
My Feedback: (43)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Returning to flying..electric this time

Trying to cram and learn all of the things I need to know to get flying again but in the electric arena this time. Still quite green so some of these questions may seem dumb... So I have a SIG Rascal 40 ARF that I last flew with a Saito 45 fourstroke. I am going to convert it to electric and found a few threads along these lines but they were several years old. I know things change in the electric area quite fast. Thus far I have purchased the following:

Thunder AC6 charger from nitroplanes

Turnigy G46 Brushless Outrunner 550kv (.46 Glow) from Hobby King
Spec.
Battery: 4~5 Cell /14.4~18.5V
RPM: 550kv
Max current: 55A
No load current: 11V/1.9A
Internal resistance: 0.021 ohm
Weight: 303g (not including connectors)
Diameter of shaft: 6mm
Dimensions: 76x50m

TURNIGY Plush 60amp Speed Controller from Hobby King
The plush series ESC are a very good quality controller. They have a broad range of programming features and a smooth throttle response compared to other BESCs in the same price range.
This BESC can handle 3A continuous current which is great for larger planes with bigger servos.
Cont Current: 60A
Burst Current: 80A
BEC Mode: Switching
BEC : 5v / 3A
Input: 5.6v-22v
Weight: 60g
Size: 80x31x14mm

TURNIGY BESC Programming Card from Hobby King(may not have really needed this but...

I found that the last time I was flying, about 6 years ago, I have a practically new JR 6012 radio system. ( I realize this is the old 72MHz system but hey it is brand new)

I am hoping that the motor and speed controller will be adequate for this plane based on the research I have done. I am now confused as to what battery I should be installing to power this combo. The motor states it requires 14.4 volt min; this makes for a 4S Lipo pack OR NiMH. Most likely I will do Lipo, but what mah should I buy? I plan on getting a wattmeter and doing some testing to help my learning curve. the thing is I am on a fairly limited budget and need to be pretty good to begin with. I am considering a Turnigy nano-tech 2200mah 4S 35~70C Lipo Pack to start with, or its equivalent. I am most likely going to buy the battery packs locally and speak with the folks at the hobby store as well, but here I am expanding my knowledge base and question visibility.

Any and all comments are welcome. Let me know if I already screwed up in my purchases or thinking.

David
Old 08-21-2012, 01:49 AM
guamflyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Returning to flying..electric this time

The best I can tell you is that the mah will pretty much determine your flight times combined with prop..I'd put the g46 in ,get atleast 3200mah to 5000mah with atleast a 20C discharge rate . If you're gonna do high speed or aerobatics then a higher discharge would work... I fly my Dad's kyosho 55- P-40 with a 55 rimfiremotor / 60 amp esc..14 X 10 apc prop and two 3 cell 3200 25c traxxas battery packs and we get an Honest 10 minute flight at 7 1/2 lbs..including flaps, retracts,rud,elev and two servos for ailerons..,,i'd run two 3 cell packs though cause the powerr is up there compared to gas..hope this helps bro..
Old 08-21-2012, 01:50 PM
dmrcflyr2
My Feedback: (43)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Returning to flying..electric this time

Well after a bit more research it would seem that I did not do too bad. I probably should have purchased a bit higher rated ESC, but if I select the prop and battery wisely I might be alright for a time. This brings me to the next question and perhaps I need to scour the forum more closely for the answer...

I downloaded a 30 day trial of motocalc and the Turnigy motor is not one of the manufacturers in the database. I believe motocalc can be used to help in battery and prop selection, but I have not spent enough time with it yet.

Am I wrong? Can this program be used to aid in prop and or battery selection with the other data, airplane info, motor info, and ESC data entered? I did just purchase a watt meter to aid in analyzing whatever items I do purchase.