E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

speed 400 brushless conversion?

Old 01-01-2013, 02:44 PM
dasquirrelisme
My Feedback: (81)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default speed 400 brushless conversion?

I am new to electric and know almost nothing about it. Heres what I know, you need a motor an ESC and battery. I have a JMGlasscraft Cosmic Wind Minnow that calls for a speed 400 motor. It has a 30inch wingspan. The plane was made about 15 years ago so I am sure I should probably go with a brushless setup. Anybody know what I should go with? I am on a budget on this one so I dont need the best of the best. Thanks

Oh and by the way it has to be an inrunner motor.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:05 AM
Dr Kiwi

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: speed 400 brushless conversion?

Something like this might be suitable... most 20mm inrunners are too high Kv for direct drive with anything bigger than about a 4" prop.... but this 65g/24mm one should be good, on 2s or 3s depending on what size prop can be fitted: http://www.giantshark.co.uk/bs204012...-p-407692.html

If the original 400-powered plane had a 6" prop (probably on 2s), this motor could manage that, certainly on 2s, but with ferocious power on 3s.

I think their 385W is a mis-print or else hugely optimistic... but <20A should be okay.