Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > E-Flight Power Sources
Reload this Page >

Rc Plane Power Supply question

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

Rc Plane Power Supply question

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 01:35 PM
tobi1847

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rc Plane Power Supply question

Alright, I know a little bit about how to choose the electronics for a plane. But there is so much to consider, I feel overwhelmed. My plane will be around 2-3 pounds (styrofoam wing and body with battery and motor). The motor that was given to me is an eflite Park 480 Brushless Outrunner Motor, 1020Kv. The propeller is a 12x6. I want a decent flight time, let's say 10 minutes. Which battery and esc would match well with this motor. Would the Turnigy 2200mAh 3S 20C Lipo Pack provide enough flight time? Any suggestions please. And also if i have 4 servos for control surfaces, how much more battery power should i accommodate for?
Old 08-08-2014, 02:35 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, what type of plane is it (scale, pattern, 3-d.....) and how will it be flown?
That motor can be run on either a 2-cell or a 3-cell LiPo battery. The size of the pack (2200mah ,1800, mah , etc....) would be determined
by the battery compartment in the fuselage and what physical size it can accommodate. As the batteries get larger in cells, mah, ratings, and C ratings
the physical size increases.
The prop you use will depend on the type of plane ad the style of flying. That motor can handle between a 10-7 and 12-6 prop and should use a
30 or 40 amp speed control (esc). The larger the prop gets with a 3-cell battery the more the amperage rises so it gets to be a balancing act so you
don't burn out the motor or the ESC.

Here is some good reading for you:http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/elec...ic-flight.html
Old 08-08-2014, 02:57 PM
tobi1847

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It isn't really any of those categories. It is just a plane for recreational flying. It will be flown for speed. A bigger prop equals essentially more thrust, right? So i wanted to use a 12-6 prop. Will that draw closer to 40 amps then? Do you think this esc would work for plane, or coul i run the risk of burning it out. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...hless_ESC.html
My fuselage is large enough for a battery even bigger than a 2200 mah, so compartment size isn't really a problem. As for center of mass I can situate that by moving my battery towards the nose. I just want it to be in the air for around 10 minutes. I'm guessing I need a bigger battery.
And thanks for the reply, i'm reading that resource.

Last edited by tobi1847; 08-08-2014 at 03:05 PM.
Old 08-09-2014, 01:08 AM
chuckk2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, here is how to go about finding out!
Go to the Castle web site and use the link to E-Calc prop calculator.
With what you gave it looks like an 11x6 or 11x7 prop would be about the best choice.
12x6 is "too much".
Old 08-09-2014, 04:07 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Usually when you run a larger diameter prop on higher cell count packs you can push the limits of the motor.
If you want to go fast use a 3 cell pack and try running a 3-cell pack and a smaller diameter higher pitch prop.
As mentioned above, use the e-calc . Also if you serious about electric flying get a Watt Meter and you can safely experiment with different props,
etc... without fear of burning up the motor or esc.