Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > E-Flight Power Sources
Reload this Page >

New To Electric Flight...How Does This Deal Work? (LiPos/Chargers)

E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

New To Electric Flight...How Does This Deal Work? (LiPos/Chargers)

Old 01-22-2014, 03:25 PM
Spool

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default New To Electric Flight...How Does This Deal Work? (LiPos/Chargers)

Hey guys,

So, I'm getting ready to rotate to some shore duty and my boys are old enough to start flying with me, so I'm looking to get back into the hobby I started twelve years ago with glow powered trainers and 72mhz radios. I still have m glow stuff, but I'm looking to get into the electric stuff due to the wide array of models available out there (thanks foam) and the fact that clean up is not nearly as intensive. Will probably still fly the glows from time to time to help teach about engines and stuff, but anyways, here's my question:

I will most likely look at getting an electric trainer to fly with my boys, and I'm going to want to get multiple battery packs to support it. And I'll need a charger to charge those packs. But where I start getting confused is the idea that I may also need a power supply for the charger? Why can't I just plug it into the wall? I've got a Esky Belt CP heli that is powered by a lipo pack. It came with a little plug in balancer/charger that takes FOREVER to charge the pack. I'm hoping that with a collection of 2200 to 3300mah packs, there is a charger out there that can charge multiple packs at one time.

Also, do you guys tend to always have a charger at the field, and if so, what are you charging from? I know my field equipment from my glow days had a lead acid battery to support the fuel pump and glow starter and prop starter...do you charge off something like that? Car batteries are an option I guess, but do most folks use a lead acid to charge from at the field?

I've been reading through the forum and it seem most people have more specific questions, which may come into play for me down the line...but I plan on buying the trainer and then some Warbird ARFs that will come with batteries, again, mostly in the 2200/3300mah range and won't be getting any larger than that, I suspect. Any recommendation on a rapid charging solution (I've got three boys who will most likely all be flying soon...going to need a few batteries, and probably a way to charge them at the field AND at home...)

Any general guidance would be greatly appreciated...I'm excited to get back into the flying game!

V/R,
Spool
Old 01-23-2014, 07:16 PM
chuckk2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Charging a 3300mah Lipo, assuming from storage (~3.80v per cell) at the 1C rate takes about 1/2 hour. If a charger is capable of 7A, you could parallel charge two 3300mah lipos in the same time, provides that they have the same cell count. Charging multiple batteries of different cell counts involves using a multi-port charger. HiTec and Vista, as well as others have 4 port chargers. Remember that the wattage limits and the current limits apply.
Or, you could look at http://www.usastore.revolectrix.com for high power chargers with parallel adapters such as the MPAs.
Prices and quality are all over the place with the various 50W chargers.

"Field power" varies, with most using car batteries, and the remainder use portable generators. The better and quieter generators are the inverter types.

Last edited by chuckk2; 01-23-2014 at 07:23 PM.
Old 01-24-2014, 12:34 AM
Spool

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Chuckk, thanks for the reply! I think I will be looking for a multiport charger, but am still a bit confused on the potential need for a power supply for that charger. Why can I not just plug it into the wall? Is it due to the need for DC current? Are there all in one multiport chargers that come with an inverter already built in?
Old 01-26-2014, 04:28 PM
chuckk2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by Spool View Post
Chuckk, thanks for the reply! I think I will be looking for a multiport charger, but am still a bit confused on the potential need for a power supply for that charger. Why can I not just plug it into the wall? Is it due to the need for DC current? Are there all in one multiport chargers that come with an inverter already built in?
There are multiport chargers with a built in AC PS, as well as the ability to work from a DC source, commonly a 12-14V automotive or similar battery. Field charging often requires the use of DC battery or other power, since AC may not be available. Quite a few of the cheapie chargers included with RTF packages have a DC charger and a wall wort AC supply.
Some examples of AC/DC chargers are at
http://www.rcaccessory.com
and many other web sources.

The typical AC/DC Lipo charger has slightly more current capability on DC than it does when operating from the internal AC supply.

As to generators, the best price/function ratio I found was a Ryobi generator.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-220...2200/203617901
It's very slightly noisier than the equivalent and very similar Honda, at about 1/2 the price.

If using a car's battery, remember that using too much energy from it equates to walking home, or a jump start.

Last edited by chuckk2; 01-26-2014 at 04:33 PM.